gas emissions from / gases emitted from heating [prepositions]

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
Could anyone clear my confusion?

gas emissions from water heating
the volum of greenhouse gases emitted from heating

co2 emissions from each person

I should use "from" rather than "by", right?

< Removed a new question needing its own thread. Cagey, moderator >

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Could anyone clear my confusion?

gas emissions from water heating
    the volum of greenhouse gases emitted from heating

co2 emissions from each person

I should use "from" rather than "by", right?

< Removed a new question needing its own thread. Cagey, moderator >

thanks
    The heating process actually generates emissions, so 'from' sounds natural. We can visualise the gas actually coming from the heating system.

If we said 'gas emitted by water heating', we could be referring to the steam rising from the surface of the hot water, although it could also refer to emissions from the heater.

We could say 'gases produced by (i.e. through the process of) water heating'

We usually speak of emissions 'for' each person, or 'per person' because the vast majority of emissions do not physically come from the person, and are not physically generated by the person.

Last edited:

Kacy.H

Chinese
    The heating process actually generates emissions, so 'from' sounds natural. We can visualise the gas actually coming from the heating system.

If we said 'gas emitted by water heating', we could be referring to the steam rising from the surface of the hot water, although it could also refer to emissions from the heater.

We could say 'gases produced by (i.e. through the process of) water heating'

We usually speak of emissions 'for' each person, or 'per person' because the vast majority of emissions do not physically come from the person, and are not physically generated by the person.
    thank you so much. Prepositions are so hard!

Kacy.H

Chinese
    So, I should simply say gases emitted by water heaters.

Many many thanks

Uncle Jack

British English
    So, I should simply say gases emitted by water heaters.

Many many thanks
    That would be fine, if that is what you mean. An electric water heater emits no gases, so if you use "emitted by water heaters", you exclude the gases emitted in generating the electricity to heat the water. If you say "gases emitted from heating water" (from the process rather than by the device) then emissions from power stations are included.

< Previous | Next >