gasket-circled hole

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
Old Sparky his ownself, sitting up on a plank platform at the southeast corner of the storeroom, stout oak legs, broad oak arms that had absorbed the terrorized sweat of scores of men in the last few minutes of their lives, and the metal cap, usually hung jauntily on the back of the chair, like some robot kid’s beanie in a Buck Rogers comic-strip. A cord ran from it and through a gasket-circled hole in the cinderblock wall behind the chair. Off to one side was a galvanized tin bucket. If you looked inside it, you would see a circle of sponge, cut just right to fit the metal cap. Before executions, it was soaked in brine to better conduct the charge of direct-current electricity that ran through the wire, through the sponge, and into the condemned man’s brain.
Source: The Green Mile by Stephen King
Context: Old Sparky is lone-name for execution electric chair.

What does a gasket-circle hole look like? I understand that a gasket is a a flat piece of rubber, etc. placed between two metal surfaces in a pipe or an engine to prevent steam, gasor oil from escaping.

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You have described a gasket as I would, but what is described here is what I know as a grommet or bushing, a ring to protect the cable from being damaged by the wall if it is pulled. Possibly this is a difference between British and American English

jacdac

Lebanese
    Got it. Thank you for the picture and for introducing me to grommet and bushing.

< Previous | Next >