gather in?

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Would you please give me a suitable preposition in this case?
"In Vietnam in the 1960s, most families didn't have a TV set so after dinner, people gathered in the family that had a television. Some even watched through the window."
Thanks.

• Bil

Banned
    English USA
    ". . . didn't have a TV set, so, after dinner, people gathered 'at the home'/'in the living room' of the family that . . ."

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Bil.
    Thank you very much. However, I would like to use one word. Could I use "at", Bil?
    ". . . didn't have a TV set, so, after dinner, people gathered at the family that . . ."
    Thank you.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, Bil.
    Thank you very much. However, I would like to use one word. Could I use "at", Bil?
    ". . . didn't have a TV set, so, after dinner, people gathered at the family that . . ."
    Thank you.
    Hi Mimi. No, you can't say "gathered at the family..." because a family is the persons who make it up. That's why Musical Chairs suggested "with". You'd have to say "gathered at the home of a family..."

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi, Bil.
    Thank you.
    No, mimi, you couldn't. A family is not a place. I'm with Bil's suggestion, but, if it must only be one word, then, as Musical Chairs says, put with.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you very much.
    I will take "with" for my sentence and I will also keep all the suggestions in my mind.
    Thanks.

Bil

Banned
    English USA
    Hi Mimi

I agree. The preposition chosen by Musical Chairs, "with," works best. But "gather" is a tricky word. The family is already situated, and it's the neighbors who are doing the gathering. :)

The preposition "with" will sound more fluid in the sentence if we write:

". . . gathered to watch with the family . . ."

Bil

Banned
    English USA
    You're welcome, Mimi. But it just occurred to me that the preposition "around" might sound nice, kind of cozy, in this sentence:

". . . people gathered around the family that . . ."

< Previous | Next >