gather reliable data on time for measuring.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "on time for measuring" mean "in time for purposes of measuring"?

It seems to be not the case. One gathers data on X. Now X is "time for measuring" or "time for purposes of measuring" — Well, it is a bit mess to me.

Thanks in advance

So much is patient-staff segregation the rule that, for four public hospitals in which an attempt was made to measure the degree to which staff and patients mingle, it was necessary to use “time out of the staff cage” as the operational measure. While it was not the case that all time spent out of the cage was spent mingling with patients (attendants, for example, would occasionally emerge to watch television in the dayroom), it was the only way in which one could gather reliable data on time for measuring.

—David L. Rosenhan

Source

• lingobingo

English - England
    … it was the only way in which one could gather, on time, reliable data for measuring.

The gathering of reliable data for measuring had to be completed "on time", i.e. by the date stipulated in the rules of the study.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    … it was the only way in which one could gather, on time, reliable data for measuring.

The gathering of reliable data for measuring had to be completed "on time", i.e. by the date stipulated in the rules of the study.

It becomes clearer.

But "data for measuring" is not very clear to me. In order to measure, you have to get data first. What kind of data? The emergence of doctors or nurses from their cages?

lingobingo

English - England
    It becomes clearer. But "data for measuring" is not very clear to me. In order to measure, you have to get data first. What kind of data? The emergence of doctors or nurses from their cages?
    I imagine the initial data would have consisted of the actual time in hours and minutes that members of staff had spent outside the cage. Those figures would then form the basis of measuring/calculating what percentages of their time were spent on which activities.

kentix

English - U.S.
    ...it was the only way in which one could gather reliable data on time for measuring.

I don't think "on time" as used here means "in a timely manner". I think it means "regarding time (as a data point to be measured)".

Paraphrasing:
    ...it was the only way in which one could gather reliable data regarding (the) time (staff members could, at least theoretically, be spending with patients) for measuring (this data point).

He's saying if a nurse came out of the cage and said one word to a patient as they walked by, that interaction was too short to measure. The only thing they could measure accurately was the total time outside the cage. That lasted long enough to be measurable. Specific patient interactions were so few and so brief, they were hard to measure and tally.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    So, gathering "information about time (spent outside the cage)" rather than submitting data by a set date. Yes, I'd go with that. :)

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    ...it was the only way in which one could gather reliable data on time for measuring.

I don't think "on time" as used here means "in a timely manner". I think it means "regarding time (as a data point to be measured)".

Paraphrasing:
    ...it was the only way in which one could gather reliable data regarding (the) time (staff members could, at least theoretically, be spending with patients) for measuring (this data point).

He's saying if a nurse came out of the cage and said one word to a patient as they walked by, that interaction was too short to measure. The only thing they could measure accurately was the total time outside the cage. That lasted long enough to be measurable. Specific patient interactions were so few and so brief, they were hard to measure and tally.
    :thumbsup::tick:

< Previous | Next >