gather vs accumulate

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi:

Nobody was clear about how exactly he had managed to _____ such a vast amount of money in such a short time.

A.increase B.accumulate C.gather D profit

Which one/ones can be the right answer(s)?
What's the difference between "gather" and "accumulate" in the context of above?

• rsweet

English, North America
    The meaning of these two words can be very close.

"Accumulate" works best here because you're talking about adding to a quantity of something.

"Gather" really just means "bring together."

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Thanks, here is my understanding
    If you say "gathered a vast amount of money", it means "put vast money together"
    If you say "accumulate a vast amount of money", it means "have got a lot of money after gathering them".
    They are very close in meaning;-)

rsweet

English, North America
    You're close. "Accumulate" a lot of money has more the sense of "adding to." Here's an example: I start with $100 and add to my savings each week. At the end of 20 years, I've accumulated a small fortune.

JamesM

"Accumulate" has a time sense to it when dealing with money. Interest accumulates, for example, in a savings account.

A person can gather money from several sources almost immediately.

Since the target sentence has "in so short a time" as a phrase, I'd say that "accumulate" is the better answer.

As for your understanding, the difference is not whether the act is already accomplished or not. "Has accumulated" and "has gathered" both indicate a completed action. "Gather" and "accumulate" aren't distinguished by the point of time in the action.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    I see, "accumulate" and "save" both share the meaning of "adding to a quantity" over a period of time.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    (1)
    "Only in the sense of saving it in a bank after earning it in some way. It doesn't mean "saving a lot of money" in the sense of finding bargains in the marketplace."
    I've got it, thanks~!

(2)
    "Since the target sentence has "in so short a time" as a phrase, I'd say that "accumulate" is the better answer."
    Sorry, but I cannot understand this.
    Do you mean the answer is decided by "in so short a time"?

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Another thought:
    Nobody was clear about how exactly he had managed to accumulate such a vast amount of money in such a short time.
    (Because he works as a clerk, and a salary receiver)
    Nobody was clear about how exactly he had managed to gather such a vast amount of money in such a short time.
    (Because his friends and relatives are not quite rich)

stranger in your midst

English / Scotland
    Contrary to the prevailing AE view, I, as a BE speaker, would go with gather, which has a more general, pleasing and English (in the large sense) feel to it.

< Previous | Next >