Gather

gabyas

Mexico Spanish
Hi, I'm doing a journaling text! I'm not sure If this I wrote is correct or I did some spelling and grammatical mistakes, also I don't know If I'm using property the term "gather".

====

Title: These four are always searching for a pretext to gather each other.

John and Peter are more thant best friends, they are like brothers and I love it! Now that we are married, we get to spend more time together than some years ago.

From a simple day playing videogames to the most importants days of our lives, through birthdays, Christmas, vacations etc.

It doesn't matter how busy we are, friends always find time for gathering.

:)
thanks in advance, Gaby

• coiffe

USA
    American English
    Ohh thank you so much Coiffe! :)
    You're very welcome. But it would be slightly better to say friends always have (find) time "to gather together" instead of "for gathering together." Either one is possible, however.

catalinaaaa87

Argentina - español
    gather = gather together = bring together (these 3 are the best options)

gather = spend time together

catalinaaaa87

Argentina - español
    Hi, I'm doing a journaling text! I'm not sure If this I wrote is correct or I did some spelling and grammatical mistakes, also I don't know If I'm using property the term "gather".

====

Title: These four are always searching for a pretext to gather each other.

John and Peter are more thant best friends, they are like brothers and I love it! Now that we are married, we get to spend more time together than some years ago.

From a simple day playing videogames to the most importants days of our lives, through birthdays, Christmas, vacations etc.

It doesn't matter how busy we are, friends always find time for gathering.

:)
    thanks in advance, Gaby

coiffe

USA
    American English
    gather = gather together = bring together (these 3 are the best options)

gather = spend time together
    These three are close in meaning but not the same -- and the differences are crucial.

People (or animals, or even storm clouds) can gather at a popular place -- but they're not necessarily together.

When people gather together someplace, they're together.

"Bring together" is not said of the people who gather together, it's said of the agent (third party, for example) who brings those people together.

gabyas

Mexico Spanish
    thank you both! You' re awesome!

Catalina: thank you, I did not realize my typos! lol :)

catalinaaaa87

Argentina - español
    These three are close in meaning but not the same -- and the differences are crucial.

People (or animals, or even storm clouds) can gather at a popular place -- but they're not necessarily together.

When people gather together someplace, they're together.

"Bring together" is not said of the people who gather together, it's said of the agent (third party, for example) who brings those people together.

lots of thankssss!!!:)

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    I would probably use the phrase "getting together".

e.g. friends always find time to get together.

"to gather together" sounds like what families or communities do after disasters, or at mushy family events - otherwise it sounds a bit archaic to me.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    I would probably use the phrase "getting together".

e.g. friends always find time to get together.

"to gather together" sounds like what families or communities do after disasters, or at mushy family events - otherwise it sounds a bit archaic to me.
    Fauna is right, "get together" is what everyone would say, unless it were some kind of formal or ceremonial situation like a church meeting, etc. I wanted to make the distinction between "gather" and "gather together" but fauna's suggestion is better, more universal.

< Previous | Next >