gathering black

kitesandeater

Spanish
Good evening. Would you please let me know the meaning of the thread?
What does the adjective "black" add to "gathering"?

As they drew near, Philip saw the heads of people gathering black upon the walls, and he knew well what was happening...

Thank you in advance.

• pops91710

English, AE
    As they drew near, Philip saw the heads of people gathering black upon the walls, and he knew well what was happening..
    It's not gathering black, it is heads of people (gathering) black (shadows as the sun is setting in the scene). Try reading it this way: "As they drew near, Philip saw the heads of gathering people black upon the walls, and he knew well what was happening.."

kitesandeater

Spanish
    It's not gathering black, it is heads of people (gathering) black (shadows as the sun is setting in the scene). Try reading it this way: "As they drew near, Philip saw the heads of gathering people black upon the walls, and he knew well what was happening.."
    Now I see it pops91710. I should be much more imaginative.
    Thank you. It’s been very helpful

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Strangers are arriving in town, and the townsfolk are flocking to the town walls to watch this rather unusual event. I think we are to imagine that inside the walls of the town there is a raised walkway or platform from which people can look down at the road and see who is approaching.

The scene is in Italy, where the majority have black or dark hair, hence from a distance the heads of the townspeople appeared black to the strangers looking up at them.

kitesandeater

Spanish
    Strangers are arriving in town, and the townsfolk are flocking to the town walls to watch this rather unusual event. I think we are to imagine that inside the walls of the town there is a raised walkway or platform from which people can look down at the road and see who is approaching.

The scene is in Italy, where the majority have black or dark hair, hence from a distance the heads of the townspeople appeared black to the strangers looking up at them.
    Thank you velisarius. Your comment reaffirms the idea given by pops91710