gathering forget-me-nots and <campion and bluebells>

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 327, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors and Connie made love in the rain. Then they returned to the hut.)

‘Come in,’ he said, and they started running back to the hut. He ran straight and swift: he didn’t like the rain. But she came slower, gathering forget-me-nots and campion and bluebells, running a few steps and watching him fleeing away from her.

I know forget-me-not stands for long-lasting love, but what are the special meanings of campion and bluebells please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hello,

I believe forget-me-nots, campions, and bluebells are all types of flowers. She was gathering flowers. You can do a Google image search of them.

Edit: I'm not sure if they each carry a special meaning in this case or not. :oops:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I doubt they have any special meaning, but who knows. They do flower at the same time of year, late spring. I'm surprised he calls them campions and not a more dialect or regional term. We called them 'ragged robins'.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is almost certain that Lawrence was simply naming three types of flower, without any particular significance. As we have said many times during your reading of this book, not every reference is a symbol for something else.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you a lot.
    Both campion and blue bells symbolise love according to this site: Symbol Meaning for Flowers in the Language of Flowers
    I have found bluebells according to the link you offered. But I didn't find campion
    It is almost certain that Lawrence was simply naming three types of flower, without any particular significance. As we have said many times during your reading of this book, not every reference is a symbol for something else.
    OK. I take it.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    We called them 'ragged robins'.
    You surprise me, Hermione. There are many sorts of campion. I'd assumed that Lawrence was talking about ordinary Red Campion (Silene dioica) rather than Ragged Robin (Lychnis flos-cuculi).

They are both campions, of course. I wondered why you thought he must be referring to the one rather than the other. Both are very common in this part of France. I don't know which is more common in the Midlands. I don't think he can mean that Connie was picking Nottingham Catchfly (Silene nutans), though it's an attractive idea.

longxianchen

chinese
    Now I'm sure forget-me-not has a special meaning: don't forget me. Here is proof from the subsequent paragraphs:
    1.With quiet fingers he(Mellors) threaded a few forget-me-not flowers in the fine brown fleece of the mound of Venus.

Then,

2.And he stuck a pink campion-bud among the hair.

‘There! That’s me(=pink campion-bud, which looks like his p e n i s) where you won’t forget me! That’s Moses in the bull-rushes.’

Therefore, I suspect bluebell also means something(maybe means love, or, farewell):
    3.Who’ll put blossoms on you(Mellors had put some flowers around her genitals) next year, Jinny? Me, or somebody else? “Good-bye, my bluebell, farewell to you!” I hate that song, it’s early war days.’

Last edited:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Forget-me-nots have a very explicit meaning which is widely known. Various other flowers have a meaning which is known mainly to florists and enthusiasts. Bluebells (in Lawrence's case this means a variety of Hyacinthoides) are not a flower with a meaning in this second category. Perhaps there are certain circles in which a special meaning exists, but I honestly think that if there is one the number of people who know it must be minute, and even allowing for the passage of time I can't believe that Lawrence could have reasonably expected such a meaning to be known to his readers (assuming that he himself was aware of it to begin with).
    Once again, you are searching for hidden meanings when there is no good reason to believe one exists.

< Previous | Next >