gathering to have and share tea and snack in a business setting

nagomi

Korean
If any, is there a term for a gathering in a business setting where people would gather up and talk, and share their whereabouts as means of building bonds with each other, along with snacks and drinks?

• Chez

English English
    No, I don't think there's one specific name for this. It might be called various things but I think it would always have to be explained exactly what it was, e.g:

Purchasing department evening/drinks: an opportunity to share ideas with your colleagues over drinks and snacks.

If it became an established thing in a company, the name could be shortened to e.g: Purchasing department drinks because everyone would know its.

nagomi

Korean
    No, I don't think there's one specific name for this. It might be called various things but I think it would always have to be explained exactly what it was, e.g:

Purchasing department evening/drinks: an opportunity to share ideas with your colleagues over drinks and snacks.

If it became an established thing in a company, the name could be shortened to e.g: Purchasing department drinks because everyone would know its.
    thank you, a book says "a goodwill gatheirng", but I was suspicious.

Chez

English English
    Hmm, well, it could be an American term; and it is also a term that COULD be used in the UK, but I wouldn't say it was a common term for this sort of gathering. If I just got an email saying 'There will be a goodwill gathering in the canteen at 6pm on Thursday' I would wonder what the hell that meant.

london calling

UK English
    The company I work for has Town Hall meetings on a fairly regular basis for all the employees. We get an update on the company's business from the CEO and then drinks and finger-food. I've heard of other companies which have a Happy Hour once a week (and it isn't just drinks, it's snacks as well). I admit though that if any of the staff here received an email announcing Procurement's Happy Hour they'd be left wondering what it was.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I have never heard of a goodwill gathering.

One company I work for has a Christmas breakfast every year.

london calling

UK English
    Yes. We have Christmas lunch, Easter lunch, Shrove Tuesday (Carnival/Mardi Gras) lunch but they're not organised in order for us to 'bond' .They're just seasonal celebrations.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    It sounds like a Happy Hour. (In medical training we used to call this Metabolic Rounds.) You might want to reconsider your use of the term whereabouts. It doesn't mean "what's going on with me" as you seem to imply from your use of the word. It actually refers to location.

nagomi

Korean
    It sounds like a Happy Hour. (In medical training we used to call this Metabolic Rounds.) You might want to reconsider your use of the term whereabouts. It doesn't mean "what's going on with me" as you seem to imply from your use of the word. It actually refers to location.
    Thank you

< Previous | Next >