Gathering

lingkky

chinese
I have a question with the word "gathering"

"We are gathering in the restaurant. "

"Gathering " here means that "we" are now together in the restaurant or "we" are still waiting to meet each other in the restaurant?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Without any context, it is impossible to say. If you wrote this sentence yourself, what situation did you have in mind? Were you trying to describe an action that is taking place right now, or something that is planned for the future?

lingkky

chinese
    Without any context, it is impossible to say. If you wrote this sentence yourself, what situation did you have in mind? Were you trying to describe an action that is taking place right now, or something that is planned for the future?
    right now.it cannot be explained without a specific context?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Very often, as in this case, the question can not be answered definitively if we don't know the context in which the sentence is used. That's why context is required every time you post a question in the forum.

lingkky

chinese
    well.
    I would like to know about the usage of the word“gathering”

can“gathering ” be used as an adjective to mean“together”?
    For example,
    "We are gathering at the restaurant now. "
    Can it mean"We are together at the restaurant now. "?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It can be said while we are in the process of getting together. Once we are all together, the act of gathering will be in the past, so you would have to say "We have gathered" or "We are gathered."

"We are gathering at the restaurant now. "
    I would specifically use this if there is a function or some other meeting at the restaurant (or if the restaurant is a meeting point before going soemewhere else) and I and other people are grouping into the restaurant in this same period of time. Some people are alredy in some other are about to enter.

Otherwise I would just say "We are all at the restaurant now".

Crossposted

< Previous | Next >