• Giannaclaudia

Italian
    netta efrat said:
    what does it mean: gatta morta

thank you
    netta
    Gattamorta = slyboots - fare la gattamorta = to play dumb
    from "il Ragazzini" ed. Zanichelli

gattamorta (comp. di gatta e morto): persona che maschera un'indole aggressiva o malevola sotto un aspetto dolce e mansueto.
    da "Devoto Oli" ed. Le Monnier

robbotiku

To be frank, I have never figured out the real meaning of that word. It is used for a very fickle, seductive and teasing woman that moves like a cat. Hope someone will be more clear...

mercedesm

Italy/italian
    Hello! Gattamorta stands for a woman that is appearently very quite, calm and also shy, but in fact she ends up having things arranged as she wants... if referred to men it involves the idea that this woman pretends not to be seductive but instead.....
    hope this helps
    mercedes

primo_cerchio

Italian Italy
    Gattamorta means:sly person, one who Hides his her real personality acting calm and quiet and naive. Fare la gattamorta: to behave with hidden intentions.

Saoul

Italian
    Paravia is quite vague, in this case, I may say.
    There is a strong sexual connotation in "gattamorta".
    That definition is quite ok for "finto tonto", which is quite different though.

kriumif

British English
    excuse my ignorance but who is Paravia? could gattamorta be used for referring to a woman who pretends she is not looking for love but in real fact she is?

Saoul

Italian
    Ciao Kriumif,

Paravia is one of the most important It-En En-It dictionaries.
    Concerning the definition of GATTAMORTA, I would stick to mercedesm definition in post #5. It seems to be quite precise, to me.

robbotiku

Yes you can, Kriumf. But it is possible that when she gets it, she refuses and pretends you've misunderstood her behaviour! Paravia is an Italian publishing house specialized in Dictionaries

plabrocca

English, US
    Ciao a tutti,

I just heard the expression gatto morto on a TV show. I'm certain there was a thread about it but I can't find it. Would someone remind me what this means?

Grazie!

Pat

Diamante

Italy - Italian
    "Persona subdola, che nasconde il suo vero carattere dietro un aspetto fin troppo ingenuo" (Zanichelli)
    In Italian, we tend to use it to refer to the one who likes flirting and playing the coquette glossed over to much candour, naturalness and ingenuity.

zigzag

Italy - italian
    In Italian, we tend to use it to refer to the one who likes flirting and playing the coquette glossed over to much candour, naturalness and ingenuity.

It should be added that this expression is used only for weman.

girlfromengland

uk
    UK, English
    Know this is an old thread but I was just wondering is it an insult or a compliment to be described as a gatta morta? Is it like being false and superficial or more like being flirtatious/making polite conversation/playing dumb in a friendly way?

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    Hi girl,

gatta morta definitely has a "bad" meaning, though it is not as strong an insult as e.g. :warn: stronza:warn:. It could refer to being flirtatious/polite/playing dumb, but as a means to reach a goal - like you think I'm dumb but in fact I'm using you.
    Gatta morta is also a bit old-fashioned to my ears.

caterina

tee_luna

Italy, italian
    I don't think it is THAT old-fashioned, specially since there are so many reality shows where being a "gatta morta" is a MUST :D

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Hi girl,

gatta morta definitely has a "bad" meaning, though it is not as strong an insult as e.g. :warn: stronza:warn:. It could refer to being flirtatious/polite/playing dumb, but as a means to reach a goal - like you think I'm dumb but in fact I'm using you.
    Gatta morta is also a bit old-fashioned to my ears.

caterina
    So it's a good usage to say to a/talk about a very manipulative person, someone who is very crafty and does anything to get what they want?

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    I think this is too much for a "gatta morta"!
    I agree: a gatta morta (or gattamorta, you can find both) is a more/less pretty girl/woman who uses her (good) looks to get (usually) men to do what she wants.
    She may be more or less crafty/bright, but she certainly is a teaser.
    Her motto is :warn::warn:"Let them smell it but don't let them have it":warn::warn:.
    She would always pretend she's innocent and not manipulative at all.

Hope this helps

caterina

tee_luna

Italy, italian
    I agree: a gatta morta (or gattamorta, you can find both) is a more/less pretty girl/woman who uses her (good) looks to get (usually) men to do what she wants.
    She may be more or less crafty/bright, but she certainly is a teaser.:tick:
    Her motto is :warn::warn:"Let them smell it but don't let them have it":warn::warn:.
    She would always pretend she's innocent and not manipulative at all.

Hope this helps

caterina

I would go as far as saying she is a :warning:cock:warning:-teaser ... but, that is a little bit too rude and vulgar

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    :D Tee Luna

By the way, I just learnt from the net that this term comes from Aesop's fables, where a cat would pretend he was dead so that birds would go by and he could catch and eat them...

WRF is so stimulating :)

caterina

tee_luna

Italy, italian
    :D Tee Luna

By the way, I just learnt from the net that this term comes from Aesop's fables, where a cat would pretend he was dead so that birds would go by and he could catch and eat them...

WRF is so stimulating :)

caterina
    and there I thought it was because women love to tempt men and then leave them stranded ("dare il due di picche sul più bello") :p

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I'm not sure that we have a specific word for someone likes this, we'd probably say something like shallow and manipulative. I'm not aware of a specific word/phrase to describe a girl like this besides "tease", someone who leads people on (pretends they're interested for their own gain)

I suppose the noun "tease" and the verb "to lead someone on" are perfect though actually, I just had a browse around the net and assured myself they're right.

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    Sorry Alex, maybe I'm just too tired, but:

"That girl is a tease"

vs.

"That girl is a teaser"

You would say "a tease", ok.

... But you can say, e.g., "teaser trailer", in which case "teaser" is used as an adjective...

caterina

ilargi berria

Italian
    Ciao. L'ho trovato nella descrizione di un personaggio femminile: "she was looking beautiful one moment and like a dead goose the next". Ho pensato che in italiano il senso potesse essere quello di gatta morta, ma se mi dite che non si usa... Grazie!

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Qui significa, ad un momento lei sembrava bella, ma, all'altro momento, sembrava terribile... (brutta/ ecc) non so come direbbe esattamente la stessa cosa in italiano, ma non è l'accezione di 'gatta morta' di cui parlavamo prima nel thread.

bluebelle07

english - US
    "gatto morto" transaltes, literally, to "dead cat"...but it's really just a modern slang phrase that means someone has a bad hair-do....something like, your hair is so bad, it looks like a dead cat laying on your head...

london calling

UK English
    "gatto morto" transaltes, literally, to "dead cat"...but it's really just a modern slang phrase that means someone has a bad hair-do....something like, your hair is so bad, it looks like a dead cat laying on your head...
    The expression in Italian means something completely different, as you will have seen when reading all the various posts.

One thing I thought you people might find interesting: here in Campania, if you say a girl /woman is a "gatta morta", it doesn't mean she's flirtatious: it means the exact opposite, if anything. A "gatta morta" is totally uninteresting, slow, uninspiring, has no get up and go, etc., a kind of zonmbie and is actually one of the worst comments you can make about a woman down here (especially a young one). I wonder where the difference comes from?

OleMorris

Italian
    I think that originally 'gatta morta' stood for 'slow, uninspiring' as london calling says, then it eventually started meaning 'flirtatious' to refer to those girls who apparently seem 'slow, zombish, not attractive' but then they turn out to be completely different if you get to know them better.

yes, 'gatto morto' & 'gatta morta' have two different meanings.

Last edited by a moderator:

mosquitoinasequindress

Italian
    I think that originally 'gatta morta' stood for 'slow, uninspiring' as london calling says, then it eventually started meaning 'flirtatious' to refer to those girls who apparently seem 'slow, zombish, not attractive' but then they turn out to be completely different if you get to know them better.
    I agree with this description, another way to say it "acqua cheta", for someone who does not make fuss but obtains what he wants on the sly.

Ciao,

Sandrokkio

Italian
    it's an offence indeed!
    I would say that a gatta morta is a girl/woman who loves to flirt a lot, with her voice or seductive attitude, but then she doesn't get to the final "action" and leaves the man sexually unsatisfied :)

What about "cocktease" in English?

< Previous | Next >