gave a little <squirting laugh>, and became Scotch and lewd

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 418, chapter 18) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie was pregnant by Mellors. Connie's father Melcolm was meeting Mellors in a club room, drinking. He told Mellors ‘You’ve got a baby in her all right.’ Mellors said.…)

I have that honour(=it's my honour)!’ grinned Mellors.
‘Honour, by God!’ Sir Malcolm gave a little squirting laugh, and became Scotch and lewd. ‘Honour! How was the going, eh? ……’

How should I understand the blue sentence please? I take gave a squirting laugh to be burst out the drink and laugh, but what does Scotch and lewd mean please? Is it a set phrase?
Thank you in advance

• wandle

English - British
    I doubt if he spat out the drink. He tried to swallow the laugh, but it still came out.

'Became Scotch' means he switched from his educated, upper-class English accent into the Scottish accent of his youth.
    'Became lewd" means his look and his tone became sexually suggestive.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Unless we've already been told that Sir Malcolm was drinking, I'd take a little squirting laugh to be a laugh which bursts out between tight lips. To become Scotch (= Scottish) would mean to fall back into his native Scottish accent, and lewd... well that's in the dictionary.

Note that Scotch nowadays only means whisky, but that in earlier times it was regularly used to mean Scottish in general.

[Cross-posted.]

wandle

English - British
    The drink would need to be mentioned in the phrase, though, to make the reader think that he spat it out.

longxianchen

chinese
    The orginal sentences are: Sir Malcolm drank a fair amount of whisky, Mellors also drank. And they talked all the while about India, on which the young man was well informed.:D

wandle

English - British
    Drinking as part of the context is not enough. It needs to be mentioned with the 'squirting'.

longxianchen

chinese
    OK. That is to say, both you and Keith take a little squirting laugh to be a laugh which bursts out between tight lips

< Previous | Next >