Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it

ktm

Can anybody explain the meaning of the phrase "Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it" in the context as follows:

'What did you see when you entered her study?'
'Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it. She had her desk lamp on so it shone on her. I knew quickly something awful had happened.

• Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    Can anybody explain the meaning of the phrase "Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it" in the context as follows:

'Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it. She had her desk lamp on so it shone on her. I knew quickly something awful had happened.
    It means that the speaker saw something which startled and upset her, "gave (her) a bit of a turn" means it made her feel faint, a bit ill maybe.

Vicky

Hocuspocus

Français Belgique
    Here is how I understand it: the man who entered the room saw something horrible that made him turn his head to avoid a disgusting sight. "Gave me a bit of a turn, I don't mind admitting it" = "I admit I was disgusted"

Hi ktm,

"To have a turn" is a British colloquialism, much loved of female hypochondriacs.

"Leave me alone just now dear. I need to lie down. I can feel one of my turns coming on."

As Victoria said, it is a feeling of being unwell, sick or faint.

Anyone seeing something awful would suffer "a bit of a turn".

In other words, "I don't mind telling you, what I saw made me feel quite ill."

Regards,
    LRV

< Previous | Next >