gavel-to-gavel

ganokrat

Thai, Thailand
I am translating the annex of the agreement which concern the broadcasting service and I found the word I have never seen before. It looks like technical term for broadcasting business. Here is the sentence that has this term in it.

--In order to satisfy TV coverage needs from national and international broadcasters, the host broadcaster shall provide gavel to gavel television coverage with at least three fixed camera positions.--

Please help.
Ganokrat

• M56

Banned
    Britain. English.
    ganokrat said:
    I am translating the annex of the agreement which concern the broadcasting service and I found the word I have never seen before. It looks like technical term for broadcasting business. Here is the sentence that has this term in it.

--In order to satisfy TV coverage needs from national and international broadcasters, the host broadcaster shall provide gavel to gavel television coverage with at least three fixed camera positions.--

Please help.
    Ganokrat
    I think it means coverage from beginning to end. The use of a gavel normally opens a courtcase, for example, and a later use closes it.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    M56 said:
    I think it means coverage from beginning to end. The use of a gavel normally opens a courtcase, for example, and a later use closes it.
    This is exactly it. For other examples of "gaveled" proceedings-- legislative sessions and investigative hearings, special-prosecutorial findings, and political conventions.

< Previous | Next >