geez, jeez

rukiak

japanese
Hi.
Is this term for speaking? or just writing?
If it can be used for speaking, are there any conditions? Do women speak geez?

• Doofy

English - US
    This exclamation is pretty informal, so mainly in speaking. It is short for "Jesus Christ," so could be offensive in some circles.

A man or woman could use this informal exclamation. I would recommend that foreign students avoid it, however!

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    Do you mean Jeez? This looks like "geezer".
    I've seen it spelled both with a "g" and with a "j". I see that it can be found spelled with a "g" in Merriam-Webster, so maybe the "g" is more AE.

(Perhaps it's a super-euphemism, and substitutes "g" for "j" to make sure there's no way the speaker/writer can be accused of saying "Jesus!" :)

rukiak

japanese
    I've seen it spelled both with a "g" and with a "j". I see that it can be found spelled with a "g" in Merriam-Webster, so maybe the "g" is more AE.

(Perhaps it's a super-euphemism, and substitutes "g" for "j" to make sure there's no way the speaker/writer can be accused of saying "Jesus!" :)
    Well, but the situation of its pronunciation seems opposite.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/geez
    (Try clicking the flag button to hear the pronunciation.)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    For many native English speakers, there is no conscious association of geez or jeez with Jesus Christ. It's simply an expression of exasperation. It is not, for those speakers, a curse, an oath, a minced oath, or anything of the sort. It's a sound they make when they are highly frustrated or annoyed, or amazed.

For others, it is a euphemism for Jesus. Accordingly, it's best to be careful with the interjection, as some people (the very straightlaced) may find it offensive, or pretend to find it offensive.

Packard

USA, English
    Until I was a member of these fora, I always assumed that "geez" was a contraction of "gee-wiz", and I always used it in that context.

That some people took offense in this took me by surprise.

Geez! That was close.

Gee-wiz that was close.

Jesus! That was close.

In retrospection I think I was wrong all those years. Certainly I would not put an exclamation mark after "gee-wiz".

chessie1312

English - Scotland
    I say "Jeez" or some people say "Jee-wiz," which I think has come from people avoiding saying "Jesus!"

So we would use it for expressing shocked/surprised/awe.

So like "I got a B," "Jeez thats great!"

or "Jeez you're not serious!?" say if someone told you something true that you couldn't believe.

Sometimes it can be used if say you heard someone was in an accident you'd say "Jeez I hope he's okay,"

I even say jeez-louise sometimes but thats just me I think ;)

< Previous | Next >