geezer-garbage

beppo

Italian
"It was the same with most of the films. All that million-miles-an-hour geezer-garbage the bloke who used to be shacked up with Madonna churned out.Gangster chic, or whatever they called it." What's "geezer-garbage"? Thanks in advance for the usual help.

• Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Possibly a reference to the sort of speech used in Guy Ritchie's films. He was "the bloke who used to be shacked up with Madonna"; he's a British film director. GEEZER is a rather old-fashioned London slang for a man, another word for a bloke, in fact !!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Possibly a reference to the sort of speech used in Guy Ritchie's films. He was "the bloke who used to be shacked up with Madonna"; he's a British film director. GEEZER is a rather old-fashioned London slang for a man, another word for a bloke, in fact !!
    In the US, "geezer" means something completely different: a very old man, with an implication that he is likely somewhat surly and/or eccentric.

I have no idea what "geezer-garbage" might be.

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    I think that "million-miles-an-hour geezer-garbage " roughly means "all those explosions and car-chases and whatever, and geezers and toffs and blokes, and all that shit".

I agree that geezers are usually old. You wouldn't talk about a 15 year old geezer. Let's say a bloke of a certain age.........

Myridon

English - US
    I think that "garbage" is a judgement of the quality of the movie. It's garbage for/about geezers. If the writer were less disapproving, he might have just said geezer-flick.
    Movies with primarily female interest that I don't hate are chick-flicks, but the ones I hate might be chick-garbage.

mangoman

British English
    I think that "garbage" is a judgement of the quality of the movie. It's garbage for/about geezers. If the writer were less disapproving, he might have just said geezer-flick.
    Movies with primarily female interest that I don't hate are chick-flicks, but the ones I hate might be chick-garbage.

Yes, "geezer-garbage" is a piece of word-play on the existing phrase "chick-flick".

< Previous | Next >