gegen die ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßige Besetzung (word order)

peterf

Chinese
Moderator note: Thread split off from here.

In the following phrase:

"Vor der japanischen Botschaft in Peking ist es am Samstag zu gewalttätigen Ausschreitungen gekommen. Tausende Menschen protestierten dort gegen die ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßige japanische Besetzung einer Inselgruppe im Ostchinesischen Meer."

The noun after "gegen" is "Ansicht" or "Besetzung"?

< ... >

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Arukami

I don’t really get your first question. They are against the "Besetzung" but the first noun afterwards is of course "Ansicht".
    "Tausende Menschen protestierten dort gegen die, ihrer Ansicht nach, unrechtmäßige japanische Besetzung einer Inselgruppe im Ostchinesischen Meer."
    The comma here is possible, maybe it’s easier for you.
    < ... >

Last edited by a moderator:

berndf

German (Germany)
    "Tausende Menschen protestierten dort gegen die, ihrer Ansicht nach, unrechtmäßige japanische Besetzung einer Inselgruppe im Ostchinesischen Meer."
    I don't fully agree. If you set a comma after nach you would have insert a short break and/or raise the voice pitch there and that sounds positively odd. If I were to insert commas then I would do it like this: die, ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßige, japanische Besetzung.

The syntactic analysis of die ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßige japanische Besetzung is as follows:
    <noun phrase 1> ::= <article> <attribute 1> <noun phrase 2>
    ...<article> ::= die
    ...<attribute 1> ::= <adverbial phrase> <adjective>
    ......<adverbial phrase> ::= ihrer Ansicht nach
    ......<adjective> ::= unrechtmäßige
    ...<noun phrase 2> ::= <attribute 2> <noun>
    ......<attribute 2> ::= japanische
    ......<noun> ::= Besetzung

peterf

Chinese
    Hi,Berndf,thanks so much for your further clarification;but,forgive me for my ignorance,I still can't tell the difference in the meaning between your phrase and that of Arukami's,and that after my almost a week's hard elaboration. I propably need to study more of German grammar,could you recommend some resources?

Thanks again.

Gernot Back

German - Germany
    "Tausende Menschen protestierten dort gegen die ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßige japanische Besetzung einer Inselgruppe im Ostchinesischen Meer."

The noun after "gegen" is "Ansicht" or "Besetzung"?
    Why don't you simply try to convert the adjectival or participial clause into a relative clause:
    http://web.hszg.de/~bgriebel/uebungerwattribut.html

Tausende Menschen protestierten dort gegen die japanische Besetzung einer Inselgruppe im Ostchinesischen Meer, die ihrer Ansicht nach unrechtmäßig ist.

By the way: This is a very common exercise when taking preparatory German classes for academic Technical German, especially with regard to the German language exam for admission to a university (DSH; Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang).

http://books.google.de/books?id=AgVXmz9bGs0C&pg=PA210&lpg=PA210&dq=partizip+"in+relativsätze+umwandeln"&source=bl&ots=LlzZU7-zq8&sig=ZNLDUcereVIdCkiJiU7DOeBIPDI&hl=de&sa=X&ei=DPxjUI3bDsfzsgbo_oGoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=partizip "in relativsätze umwandeln"&f=false

berndf

German (Germany)
    Hi,Berndf,thanks so much for your further clarification;but,forgive me for my ignorance,I still can't tell the difference in the meaning between your phrase and that of Arukami's,and that after my almost a week's hard elaboration. I propably need to study more of German grammar,could you recommend some resources?

Thanks again.
    To be honest, I can't see any interpretation where the commas as Arukami placed them would be meaningful. "ihrer Ansicht nach" qualifies "unrechtmäßig" and there cannot be a comma between the two.

Gernot Back

German - Germany
    To be honest, I can't see any interpretation where the commas as Arukami placed them would be meaningful. "ihrer Ansicht nach" qualifies "unrechtmäßig" and there cannot be a comma between the two.
    Commas would certainly diminish the importance of what they embrace.
    Amtliche Regelung said:
    § 78: Oft liegt es im Ermessen des Schreibenden, ob er etwas mit Komma als Zusatz oder Nachtrag kennzeichnen will oder nicht.
    http://www.canoo.net/services/GermanSpelling/Amtlich/Interpunktion/pgf71-79.html#pgf78

peterf

Chinese
    Thanks,Berndf and Gernot Back, for your kind answers. I believe I understand this sentence very well now.

Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >