gegen Zahlung einer Kaution auf freiem Fuß

Dupon

Chinese
Here is a sentence in an article about the politics in Thailand:
Abhisit ist gegen Zahlung einer Kaution auf freiem Fuß.

I just can not understand what is the meanning of "gegen Zahlung" and "auf freiem Fuß.".
Does it mean: Abhisit refuses to pay the bail for his freedom.

Thanks much!

• Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    gegen Zahlung einer Kaution - in return for the payment of a bail
    auf freiem Fuß - at large

Abhisit is at large on bail.

manfy

German - Austria
    auf freiem Fuß - at large

Abhisit is at large on bail.
    I think, 'at large' is the wrong term here, isn't it? To me this has a strong undertone of having escaped or being wanted but not yet caught.

In your sentence 'auf freiem Fuß' has the meaning of having been freed.

Another common expression where this fixed phrase is often used: "Er wurde auf freiem Fuß angezeigt" = He has been charged (for a crime/misdemeanor) but he has not been locked up for it.
    Come to think of it, here it can have the meaning of being at large and being wanted.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    I think, 'at large' is the wrong term here, isn't it? To me this has a strong undertone of having escaped or being wanted but not yet caught.
    The question of whether the defendant is entitled to remain at large or if he should be remanded in custody treads a very thin line.
    Lawmentor

In your sentence 'auf freiem Fuß' has the meaning of having been freed.
    What if he never was in custody, so it was impossible to free him?

If the appellant be already at large on bail, his or her sureties shall be liable to the amount of their bond, in the same manner and upon the same conditions as if they had executed the bond prescribed by this section; [...]
    Washington State Legislature

The two grounds advanced by the Government, and adopted by the court, why bail should not be reset are (1) the likelihood that if at large on bail, one or more of the appellants might flee during the trial, and (2) the likelihood that if appellants were at large on bail during the trial, Government witnesses would have justifiable fears for their safety and might become victims of actual violence, thereby interfering with the presentation of the Government's case.
    UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS NINTH CIRCUIT

[...] Colavecchio, while at large on bail prior to the trial in the present case, was found on the roof of a supermarket in the act of burglarizing the store [...]
    Leagle: Supreme Court of Ohio

Last edited:

manfy

German - Austria
    What if he never was in custody, so it was impossible to free him?
    Well, that is true!
    I just never heard it phrased that way. Our local media here would probably say 'Abhisit is out on bail.' or 'Abhisit was released on bail.'
    But maybe that's just a difference in the legal system here. They do tend to detain first and ask questions later.
    I'm not very familiar with those details of the law.

< Previous | Next >