Gender does not display anymore when hovering over the user's avatar

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
In a recent thread there was some confusion because a female forero was addressed as being a man. Not that it led to any uncomfortable situation (at least, I don't think so), but someone made the remark that the gender of a user was not visible anymore when hovering over the user's avatar and if that were available, it could have prevented the mistake. You can still see the gender of a user (if he/she has selected it in his/her profile) if you browse to the user's profile, so the information is still available but it is not readily available anymore from the forums.

I think this function disappeared pretty recently (just a personal impression).

My question is: would it be possible to reinstate this function?

• mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Ah, found the problem. Look again now!
    I didn't like those. They are too gray. I couldn't get them to be bold and I used to be confused between the two of them. The other option was the "restroom" symbols. That got me thinking that the Mars ♂ and Venus ♀ symbols are never used for restrooms, probably because enough other people get confused. Hopefully, they are obvious now.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I can now see a difference, although you almost need a magnifier glass to see it.

I also like the icons proposed by Paul better. Now, it just looks like a little puppet and if you don't know why it is there, it is not obvious at all that it shows the gender of the user.

Before it just said "male" or "female" in plain letters. That's at least clear.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Who cares (about the user's age, either)? If they want to post these data, they will; if they don't, they won't. Writing 'Male'/'Female'* (and their age*) in their native language if they choose to do so, as Peterg says, is simplest, I think.
    *After all, this information is optional, not obligatory.

Last edited:

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    I didn't like those. They are too gray.
    Those symbols you're discussing (♂ ♀) are Unicode characters, not icons. So how they are rendered in terms of color and shape depends on what system you are using. They look black and white as any other character on my laptop but blue and pink on my phone. And that is an issue.

Screenshot:
    20191106_082644.png

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Why should it be necessary to reveal our gender if we don't want it revealed?

Ah, I see that anyone who didn't reveal their gender on their profile is still unrevealed. I like it when they keep us guessing.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    On WRF it appears to be only two. I'm not sure like the little dress on the female icon; I haven't worn a dress for a good many years, - too old, too arthritic. :D

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    We should probably drop the icons and allow users to describe in words what they are if they want to.

Aliph

Italian (North)
    @ mkellog I am on a tablet and fortunately I see one of the three options: male, female, no information. I have to click on the “about” button. That’s ok for me. You can add “other” if somebody feels left out.
    I do not like bathroom icons.

Aliph

Italian (North)
    Now the icons for female and male are visible also on a tablet. But they are so hard to distinguish.

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    "Male", "Female", and "None Of Your Business"? :D

Bur I see that while we are correctly using the adjectives 'male' and 'female', we still prudishly say 'gender' (a grammatical term for which the corresponding adjectives are 'masculine' and 'feminine') instead of 'sex' (a biological term).

< Previous | Next >