gender industry

• Tube Rider

Japanese
    Where did you find this? It seems like a headline, with some grammatical bits missing.
    Thank you suzi br!
    Is that so? Which part is grammatically wrong? And what is the gender industry?

He says
    Excuse me, if anyone knows, please let me know.
    My daughter asked me this question.
    “When I was looking for the materials for Eiken Grade 1 lighting measures on the Internet,
    Agree or Disagree:
    Gender industry will never be eliminated.
    This was the challenge. What does gender industry mean? Does it have anything to do with LGBT or something like that? "

Tube Rider

Japanese
    Thank you suzi br!
    Is that so? Which part is grammatically wrong? And what is the gender industry?

He says
    Excuse me, if anyone knows, please let me know.
    My daughter asked me this question.
    “When I was looking for the materials for Eiken Grade 1 lighting measures on the Internet,
    Agree or Disagree:
    Gender industry will never be eliminated.
    This was the challenge. What does gender industry mean? Does it have anything to do with LGBT or something like that? "
    Oh, no... lighting is writing.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you suzi br!
    Is that so? Which part is grammatically wrong?
    The sentence should begin with an article "The gender indistry ..."

And what is the gender industry?
    I think we do not know how to answer this - it's not a term we are familiar with. Perhaps it has been translated as gender when it should have been "sex industry"?

Tube Rider

Japanese
    The sentence should begin with an article "The gender indistry ..."

I think we do not know how to answer this - it's not a term we are familiar with. Perhaps it has been translated as gender when it should have been "sex industry"?
    Thank you Julian! It could mean a lot of things ....

Here's a reply to his tweet
    Gender industry too quick to push children, teens to transition: Trans-identified males speak out

English is hard to learn.

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    The next tweet talks about sex-change operations on teen-agers and children. That is changing gender.

So "the gender industry" probably means the people who do these operations, or support families that have these operations.

It is not a standard phrase in English.

Tube Rider

Japanese
    The next tweet talks about sex-change operations on teen-agers and children. That is changing gender.

So "the gender industry" probably means the people who do these operations, or support families that have these operations.

Thank you Julian and dojibear!
    I will try to study English harder.

suzi br

English / England
    English is hard to learn if you use Twitter as your source. Comments in there are very elliptical and rooted in shared knowledge or attitudes. I often struggle to decode them because they’re built on previous exchanges, shared ideologies and often meant to be ironic, not literal.
    It’s not a good learning environment.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)

Well, it is a standard phrase but it's only used among two relatively small groups of people. These are a) those who are so familiar with it that it drops off the tongue easily, as a shorthand for "those therapists, psychiatrists, endocrinologists, surgeons and their patients who are involved in gender reassignment" and b) those who are so opposed to the concept of gender reassignment that they see it as a heartless industry destroying young lives.

Unfortunately, group (b) is so dogmatically opposed to to group (a), and the patients of group (a) are so angry and frustrated, that the debate has become quite toxic; even people like me (regional representative of a transgender association) cannot easily see a meaning for "the gender industry" that will help the average reader.

suzi br

English / England
    Well, it is a standard phrase but it's only used among two relatively small groups of people. These are a) those who are so familiar with it that it drops off the tongue easily, as a shorthand for "those therapists, psychiatrists, endocrinologists, surgeons and their patients who are involved in gender reassignment" and b) those who are so opposed to the concept of gender reassignment that they see it as a heartless industry destroying young lives.

Unfortunately, group (b) is so dogmatically opposed to to group (a), and the patients of group (a) are so angry and frustrated, that the debate has become quite toxic; even people like me (regional representative of a transgender association) cannot easily see a meaning for "the gender industry" that will help the average reader.
    And that escalating toxicity is especially fast and horrible on Twitter.