Gender, OBJ+POS: person->(his-him/her,their), one->(????)

< Previous | Next >

josama

Colombia, Spanish
Hi, I have this question:

When someone is speaking or writing in general, he/she (they?), writes: someone, or a person, or one as the subject of the phrase. For avoiding the male/female problem, some people accept the use of their/them, for example:

If a person enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.

1. Is the same if you don't use 'person', but, for example 'someone' or 'one'?:

If someone enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.

If one enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.

2. Would any of the expressions in green be suitable in those phrases?

Thank you guys.

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    josama said:
    When someone is speaking or writing in general, he/she (they?), writes: someone, or a person, or one as the subject of the phrase. For avoiding the male/female problem, some people accept the use of their/them, for example:
    If a person enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.

josama said:
    1. Is the same if you don't use 'person', but, for example 'someone' or 'one'?:

If someone enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.

If one enters the room, he/she (they?) has to take his/her (their) shoes off.
    Yes, using someone, one and a person as an impersonal is fine. Using you is also acceptable.

If you enter the room, you have to take your shoes off.

josama

Colombia, Spanish
    VenusEnvy said:
    Yes, using someone, one and a person as an impersonal is fine. Using you is also acceptable.

If you enter the room, you have to take your shoes off.
    Thank you very much. So, everything I wrote in green was perfect, huh? (in an informal way for some, though)

Venus, I'm sorry: I SWEAR I SEARCHED IN ADVANCE of (of?) posting my question... I guess I have to sharpen my search skills :eek:

jacinta

USA English
    Hi Josama,

It is very common for English speakers to use "they" as an impersonal pronoun. I say it all the time. I would say that it is the most common form in conversation.

"Whenever anyone comes into my house, they always take off their shoes."

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    josama said:
    Venus, I'm sorry: I SWEAR I SEARCHED IN ADVANCE of (of?) posting my question... I guess I have to sharpen my search skills :eek:
    No, no, josama. It's ok! I knew about it because I had participated in the thread. No worries! :p

< Previous | Next >