Genderblind vs bisexual

< Previous | Next >
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    No. For one thing bisexuality applies to people. I don't think fruit flies approach sexuality in the same way as people do. Second, perhaps more importantly, the bisexual people I know are quite aware of their partners' gender; they just appreciate both versions of it. Gender blindness, to me, means they aren't concerned with it at all; in effect, they don't see it.

Gender blindness could also refer to non-sexual situations such as hiring employees or granting loans. Bisexuality applies only to sexual situations.

Packard

USA, English
    No. For one thing bisexuality applies to people. I don't think fruit flies approach sexuality in the same way as people do. Second, perhaps more importantly, the bisexual people I know are quite aware of their partners' gender; they just appreciate both versions of it. Gender blindness, to me, means they aren't concerned with it at all; in effect, they don't see it.

Gender blindness could also refer to non-sexual situations such as hiring employees or granting loans. Bisexuality applies only to sexual situations.
    Well thought out. But the article uses the term "genderblind" as a single word vs. "gender blind". I sense a difference in meaning between these two choices. Do you?

london calling

UK English
    I think if I heard the term 'genderblind' used in relation to humans I'd think of non - binary people who do not identify with any gender.

Probably not a good idea to use it for humans...

manfy

German - Austria
    For one thing bisexuality applies to people.
    That's not entirely true! I'm sure I've seen some nature documentaries where they called animals of some species homosexual and others bisexual -- but not among animals that mate for life, I think.

I agree with the rest. For me, the opposite of gender-blind is being gender-biased. It has more to do with the value a person attaches to a person of one gender over the other. Homo-, hetero-, bi-, a-sexual refers to sexual preference or activity specifically.
    They call Trump a misogynist, i.e. definitely not gender-blind, and yet he's heterosexual, isn't it?

Myridon

English - US
    Someone who is faceblind cannot recognize people by their faces, so I might think genderblind meant "having no gender-dar ;)" - unable to tell the difference between male and female, living in a world where everyone seems like Pat in the SNL sketch "It's Pat." I think this is probably the case with the fruit flies. They aren't intentionally having same-sex relations - they just can't tell.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ... I might think genderblind meant "having no gender-dar ;)" - unable to tell the difference between male and female...
    That sound eminently reasonable, but I'm having trouble with the idea of a gene that is genderblind. For a fruit-fly not to recognise the sex of its mate seems possible, but genes don't have a mate. So I'd conclude one of the following:
    1. The gene is genderblind in that it affects flies of both genders.
    2. The gene causes the flies to be genderblind - it's a transferred epithet.
    From there on it's outside my pay bracket.

Myridon

English - US
    I'm having trouble with the idea of a gene that is genderblind.
    It says they call the gene the genderblind gene which means the gene that results in genderblindness, not that the gene is genderblind.
    I have an error in the HBB gene (hemoglobin beta gene). The gene produces hemoglobin beta.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The best part of being a Drosophila scientist must be naming the genes: starting with eyeless, wingless, and antennapedia, they've progressed to armadillo, hippo, teashirt, shaggy, grunge, disco, frizzled . . .

Packard

USA, English
    The best part of being a Drosophila scientist must be naming the genes: starting with eyeless, wingless, and antennapedia, they've progressed to armadillo, hippo, teashirt, shaggy, grunge, disco, frizzled . . .
    They had to come up with Drosophila scientist because "fruit fly scientist" sounds like a gay scientist. That is probably antiquated terminology, but in the 1960s and 1970s people would say, "he is as gay as a fruit fly".

I would not even know how to tell male from female fruit flies.

< Previous | Next >