General pronunciation: mathematical formulas

< Previous | Next >

vault_dweller

Russian
Hello.

I'm dealing with CAE-systems (Fluent, ANSYS). Up-to-date software is supplied with different "User manuals". To perform appropriate analysis I have to translate some theoretical reference. It's not that simple, but I can do that. :)

And here's my problem. How can I read in English a mathematical expression like this one?

1.JPG

Every mathematical term has it's name, but I'm ambarassed with to long sentences. And I try to find some "spoken", or symplyfied way to talk about formulas, laws and equations in English. Moreover, it's important issue for me, because most of the derived units, of Thermal Conductivity [W/m-K] or Specific Heat [J/Kg-K] are seemed to be spoken almost the same way.
I have a dictionary but there is only definitions and there's no any information about "how to read" particular formula. It means, that if an author wants to write exprssion, it will be written in symbols, but not in the text.

• Eigenfunction

England - English
    There are some variations between people/schools, but for the example you give:
    "partial dee by dee ex of rho u phi equals partial dee by dee ex of capital gamma times partial dee phi by dee ex.

Instead of partial dee by dee ex of… You can say partial derivative of … with respect to ex. or partial derivative with respect to ex. These forms are more wordy and possibly more elegant in some cases, but they can be more difficult to read and follow because they are less similar to the written expression.

< Previous | Next >