generic radio ID

janina

Polish
Hi!
For the lat few days I've been surfing the Net trying to understand (from the context) what "generic radio ID" is. And still have no idea. Is it a name of a record label? Is it a bonus track incuded in some records?

Could you help me, please? I have to translate it into Polish but how can I do that if I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

• JamesM

Without more context it's very difficult to say what it means.

Where did you read/hear this? What else was said/written?

See the following in our English Only forum rules:

Context and Background

If you're having difficulty understanding it with context, imagine how difficult it is when you give us no context. :)

janina

Polish
    Well, thing is there is no context :confused: I'm translating a short film which starts with a man asking: "What does generic radio ID mean?" And there is no answer because the conversation goes in quite a different direction.

JamesM

Good luck, then. I have no idea. Perhaps someone else has heard the term before.

Are you so sure the conversation that follows has nothing to do with it that you are unwilling to post it here?

janina

Polish
    I'm sorry. I really appreciate your help but believe me there is nothing in the text itself that could indicate what generic radio ID is.

NancyDunn

USA, English
    OK, I'll give this a try.

If we're talking about an American context, it may have something to do with the legally required identification of a radio station by its call letters (for example, WGBH or KPFA) and its carrier frequency (98.5 FM, for example). Back when I did radio, the regulations of the Federal Communications Commission required all radio broadcasters to give this station identification at regular intervals in the broadcast day, around the hour. Some stations had/have prerecorded fancy, attention-grabbing IDs with music and sound effects. At other stations, the announcer simply says the call letters and the numbers ("You're listening to radio station KPFA in Berkeley, California, broadcasting 24 hours a day at 88.5 FM on your radio dial. It's now 3 pm and time for...."), without anything special to serve as a simultaneous advertisement for the station. Because the station ID is repeated routinely throughout the day, people who listen to a lot of radio hear it frequently. It becomes a thread in the fabric of their normal sound environment.

Could we imagine that the simple way might be a "generic radio ID"??

At least it's plausible. And you could translate it into whatever Polish equivalent you have in your contemporary broadcasting world, as there seems to be no other reference to it in the text/dialogue. Just choose some little element of radio that most Polish people would hear over and over. Something that's neither political nor commercial, but part of the normal radio day for listeners.

Any other ideas?

Interesting problem.

Cheers,
    Nancy

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Context/background can be a lot more than simply the words before/after.
    Where is the film set?
    When?
    What nationality are the speakers?
    What is the film about?
    Answers to any of these - and other questions I've not thought of - might help to understand this enigmatic question.

ewokie

English
    Hi!
    For the lat few days I've been surfing the Net trying to understand (from the context) what "generic radio ID" is. And still have no idea. Is it a name of a record label? Is it a bonus track incuded in some records?

Could you help me, please? I have to translate it into Polish but how can I do that if I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
    Hi, a Generic Radio ID is used in radio production for Artist Ident's

eg... Hi, this is "XXXX", and this is my new single "XXXX"

It doesn't mention anything about what radio station it is, so it is generic and can be used by any radio station.

I have attached an example for you that I received just this week.

J

View attachment 01 PINK ID 1.zip

Two thoughts occur to me:

It could mean the call signs used by amateur radio enthusiasts.

It could also mean the digital signals put on commercially produced CDs to identify them when they are broadcast on the radio. The signals are picked up by receivers which automatically credit the composer and musicians with fees for the copyright and debit the radio station accordingly.

< Previous | Next >