generous novel

< Previous | Next >

roseto

Poland Polish
Could you provide me with synonyms of "generous" in the phrase "generous novel" ? thank you!

• roseto

Poland Polish
    As far as I know, it is often met in book descriptions and reviews, i.e. 'a good-humoured, generous novel', ' a warm and generous novel', ' this generous novel portrays Spanish society..' etc.
    I `m not sure whether generous refers to the size of the book, or anything else.

domangelo

United States English
    When paired with the adjective "good-humored", I would imagine "generous" as meaning that the novel takes a sympathetic look at its subject.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    As far as I know, it is often met in book descriptions and reviews, i.e. 'a good-humoured, generous novel', ' a warm and generous novel', ' this generous novel portrays Spanish society..' etc.
    I `m not sure whether generous refers to the size of the book, or anything else.
    I was going to say I've never seen any such descriptions; then I trawled the web and found such things as this:

As an epigraph to his humane and generous novel Family Matters, Rohinton Mistry uses a reverse version of Tolstoy's words from <I>Anna Karenina..

I think Domangelo's explanation is probably right: the word suggests considerable sympathy and humanity.

You asked for synonyms: benevolent, charitable, considerate, fair, humane, sympathetic, big-hearted, kind, kind-hearted, magnanimous, tolerant. http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/willing

< Previous | Next >