George makes all our furniture

• vachecow

USA English
    Ahhhh...I enjoyed reading that because it reminded me of a chair I tried to make once...

Anyway, the joke is that George makes his own chairs, which are apparently horrible....and I think you got it.

vachecow

USA English
    You could infer that the wife is unhappy about the situation, and is making fun of George because she may have told him that he was doing something wrong.

Aud Duck

English--United States
    At the moment, there's a certain enthusiasm in the US for doing things yourself. Americans have been buying things pre-made for a very long time, and a lot of people are sick of it (when you buy factory made things, you lose the artistic aspect of things like furniture). This is especially bad when you realize that the US used to have a strong tradition of handcrafted things, before factory-made goods became cheaper. As a result of all this, a lot of people are trying to resurrect traditional handicrafts by learning things like carpentry and sewing. The trouble is that most of these people have no knowledge of the handicraft they are trying to revive and, therefore, often get bad results. The cartoon seems to me to be making fun of this cultural tendency in America.