Georgian: -აძე, -იძე

Tavshan

English - England
Hallo - I have a question on the Georgian endings -აძე and -იძე, like გოგოლაძე and გოგოლიძე.
I know that ძე means 'son of', but what does the different vowel (in some cases ა, in some cases ი) depend on?
I imagine that it is part of the original name, not of the ending, right?
გმადლობთ!

• winenous

English - British
    A good question. It is by the way the same with the -შვილი (child) ending of surnames - it seems always to be preceded by ა or ი.

Even if it is not part of the ending, it is not as simple as saying that the ა or ი is part of the original name. For example, a common male first name is გიორგი, while the common surname meaning son of გიორგი is გიორგაძე, and as far as I know გიორგა is not გიორგი in another case.

Sometimes there are rules in Georgian that simply make things sound better - maybe that is what is happening here?

rev98

German
    There are also names ending in -ოძე

I have also no idea, but would assume it has to do with either what area the name is from or there are really some sound rules. My Georgian friend says it is probably random and just developed somehow and while he couldn't think of an example he said it is possible that the same name exists in two versions, one in -იძე and one in -აძე. I believe both მამალიძე and მამალაძე exist for example

< Previous | Next >