German T sound

2k2m

Portuguese
I have a question regarding the realization of the T sound among german speakers. Is it apical (pronounced with tip of the tongue) or laminal (pronounced with the blade of the tongue, excluding the tip)? Or maybe there's a free variation and both ways are common?

Thanks.

• berndf

German (Germany)
    It doesn't matter. Whatever is easier in a given phonetic context. In Biest, it is normally laminal and in bunt it is normally apical. (I think I don't have to explain why.)

bearded

It doesn't matter. Whatever is easier in a given phonetic context
    I am not sure, but I think there are regional differences. It seems to me that T in Northern Germany is pronounced more like in English than it is in Southern regions. Guten Tag (apart from the g/ch difference) does not sound the same in Hamburg and in Munich.

berndf

German (Germany)
    I am not sure, but I think there are regional differences. It seems to me that T in Northern Germany is pronounced more like in English than it is in Southern regions. Guten Tag (apart from the g/ch difference) does not sound the same in Hamburg and in Munich.
    There are regional difference in the realization of /t/ but these differences are not related to this question (apical vs. laminal).

< Previous | Next >