German word order!

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • fluxxii

English: USA
    I actually found a pretty good explanation of this the other day, but unfortunately I can't find the link again. I'll try my best to recreate it with the notes that I took.

In asking questions, there are two general ways. The first method is to have the main verb in the first placement, followed by the subject and all remaining elements after that. For example: Gehst du jetzt nach Hause?

The second way is to have a question word (such as wer/was/wann/wo/warum/wie) followed by the subject and all remaining elements - pretty similar to the one above. For example: Warum gehst du jetzt nach Hause?

As for normal word order, generally the subject is first, then the main verb, and all remaining elements of the sentence. Here are several examples:
    1.) Subject + Verb: Ich schreibe.
    2.) Subject + Verb + DO: Ich schreibe einen Brief.
    3.) Subject + Verb + IO + DO: Ich schreibe ihm einen Brief.
    4.) Subject + Verb + Time + Place: Sie will heute ins Kino gehen.

You can also invert the word order for style or stress on a certain element.
    5.) Time + Verb + Subject + Place: Heute geht er ins Kino.

Another good link that may be more helpful can be found at geocities.com/CollegePark/Hall/1238/constr.html

Falcons508

Banned
    United States- English
    As for normal word order, generally the subject is first, then the main verb, and all remaining elements of the sentence. Here are several examples:
    1.) Subject + Verb: Ich schreibe.
    2.) Subject + Verb + DO: Ich schreibe einen Brief.
    3.) Subject + Verb + IO + DO: Ich schreibe ihm einen Brief.
    4.) Subject + Verb + Time + Place: Sie will heute ins Kino gehen.
    It seems alot like english in that aspect.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hi Falcon,

"German word order" is a very broad topic. Please limit your questions to specific aspects of German word order that you wish to know more about, and open a specific thread for each one.

As this query is too general to favor a reasonable linguistic discussion, this thread is closed. Thank you for understanding.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >