German words with the /z/ sound in them?

Jenl23

English
Hi,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm learning/researching German, and I'm trying to compile a list of 20-25 German words that contain (but don't begin with) the sound /z/ (as in 'zoo'). The issue I'm having is that I'm looking for the sound, not necessarily the letter.

Anyone more proficient than me able to help?

Thank you!

• Kajjo

The /z/ sound is default sound and very common for "s" at the beginning of a word followed by a vowel...

Saal
    Sohn
    sagen
    saufen
    siegen
    so

...or inside a word between vowels; mostly in front of m,n,l

Rasen
    Dose
    niesen
    Felsen
    also
    wieso
    Wiese

...before -sal, -sam

ratsam
    Schicksal
    Mühsal

The /s/ sound is the default sound at then end of a word

aus
    Gas
    Hals

...and inside a word after most consonants

Erbse
    Kapsel
    höchst

Compare the change of s-sound depending on position:

ein Gas [ga:s]
    zwei Gase [ga:zɛ]

Words derived from other languages (Latin, Greek, French, English) do not always follow these rules. Some very common words got "adopted", most words follow roughly the foreign pronunciation.

As always, several exceptions and special cases occur anyway.

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    This may be cheating. :) But there are many, many compound words that would fit the description.

Fernsehen, Nudelsuppe, Hauptsache. . . .

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    But there are many, many compound words that would fit the description.
    There are just many words that fit the description period.

In fact, I'm not quite sure why this was deemed a thread-worthy question. It's like asking for a list of vegetables that are green.

Jenl23

English
    There are just many words that fit the description period.

In fact, I'm not quite sure why this was deemed a thread-worthy question. It's like asking for a list of vegetables that are green.
    I realise this might seem like a strange question - a bit of background info. I'm researching certain features of the German language, and the way they're processed. The issue is that I'm interested in phonology; the sound of German, as opposed to spelling. Not speaking German myself, it's difficult to distinguish between 'z' when it appears in spelling, and the /z/ sound, as is apparently predominantly occurs as 's'. As opposed to searching for the phonetic transcription of hundreds of words containing 's', I thought that perhaps one or two more fluent speakers of German might be able to direct me towards a couple of words I can use in my research.

Thanks to all that have helped!

Cliff Barnes

German
    Er sucht Wörter, die ein Z wie Zoo enthalten. Z.B.
    Warze, Harz, kurz, Furz, Herz.

Oder meint er die englische Aussprache von Zoo?

Kajjo

I'm researching certain features of the German language
    Research?! You don't expect to find anything new in such a simple question, do you? German phonology is well known and documented.

difficult to distinguish between 'z' when it appears in spelling, and the /z/ sound
    The letter "z" is almost never pronounced /z/ in German words, but always /ts/ (Zweig, zwei, zäh, ziepen) -- with only very few exceptions like "Bronze" and "Quiz" with /s/.

The letter "s" is by default pronounced as /s/ or /z/ (see #3).

That certain letters like "z" are used as representation of certain sounds in phonology might be disturbing, but think of the IPA symbols as simple representations of sounds and don't wonder about whether or not they conincide with English or German pronunciation. It would have been better to choose IPA symbols that are not used as letters.

< Previous | Next >