Germans waste money on all-inclusive breaks

dec-sev

Russian
Hello.

Germans waste money on all-inclusive breaks.

This is the sentence from this thread of the German forum. The OP says that it's a title of a survey. It says that Germans don't use the money the spend on all-inclusive holidays to the full. For example, they often eat out thus spending extra money while eating in the hotel is inlcuded into the holiday package.
When I first read the title my first thought was that it was about the fact that those all-inclusive holiday packages are not worth the money the Germans pay, but the artilce itself is about something quite different.
My question is: How would you interpret the title without knowing the context?

• ewie

English English
    Is this forum actually in the business of interpreting a title without knowing the context?
    Erm ... yes? (not sure, to be honest)
    Anyway, before I clicked open the thread, I interpreted it in exactly the same way, Dec: "Germans waste money buying all-inclusive breaks that aren't worth it".
    But: it does mean the other thing as well ~ it just depends on how the author is using that word on.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    It is ambiguous ... some people will interpret it one way, others will interpret it another.

Germans waste money [while they're] on all-inclusive breaks.
    Germans waste money on [the purchase of] all-inclusive breaks.

I think the second version is what most people would think of without reading the article. But since headlines are designed to get you to read stories, an ambiguous headline may be better than one that is straightforward and tells you all you want to know.

< Previous | Next >