Germany's favorite fish – Alaskan pollock - is out

dec-sev

Russian
Hello.

Annerose Pritzbeuer from Greenpeace passed out shopping guides to help customers avoid buying fish harvested though abusive practices. Her organization wants to extend a discard ban, to prevent the waste of less marketable fish, or 'bycatch'. According to the Greenpeace guide, mackerel, trout and herring are in, but Germany's favorite fish – Alaskan pollock - is out.
source: << DW.de website article: Germans get hooked on SlowFisch >>

What does 'trout and herring are in ... Alaskan pollock is out' mean? My first thought was that Alaskan pollock is discarded as a bycatch, but it doesn't seem to be the case as it's "Germany's favorite fish". So, what does 'Alaskan pollock is out' mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • dec-sev

Russian
    Still I don't understand. Alaskan pollack is German's favourite fish and it would be a safe guess to say that fishermen don't discard it. Then what's the problem? And I can't understand what being in favour or out of favour with Greenpeace mean either. Is it supposed to mean that they protect some species and don't care about others?

@Copyright: I've just clicked on the link and it opened OK.

suzi br

English / England
    Well we are branching out into the realms of politics now. The idea is that to protect certain fish stocks people are encouraged to eat a wider range of types of fish, especially ones that ARE just discarded. If fishermen are after pollock and get mackerel they might well just throw the mackerel back. Greenpeace wants people to EAT these as a way of protecting the pollock stocks.

The concept of favour is about patterns of behaviour, not really which fish people like the best.

dec-sev

Russian
    If fishermen are after pollock and get mackerel they might well just throw the mackerel back. Greenpeace wants people to EAT these as a way of protecting the pollock stocks.
    What does 'these' refer to? To mackerel? If mackerel is discarded why is it in the same 'in' group together with trout and herring? Or does the author mean that if fishemen are after pollock and they get some trout and herring as bycatch they throw them back?

dec-sev

Russian
    I'll re-phrase my question. The Greenpeace activists says that "Her organization wants to extend a discard ban, to prevent the waste of less marketable fish, or 'bycatch'". Which of the above-mentioned spiecies do you thinks she considers to be less marketable?

Copyright

American English
    Let me share what very, very little I know about this subject since no one is jumping in right now. :)

Fish quotas are often based on the catch that is landed (brought to shore) rather than what is caught at sea. So if you're out after pollock, it sounds (at a guess here), like you end up discarding many more fish -- because you're only allowed to offload a fixed quantity at the pier -- because you're catching a higher proportion of fish that you don't want than if you're fishing for mackerel, trout and herring.

I don't know the reason for this, but I theorize that pollock are caught swimming in the company of many other "undesirable" fish that are then discarded at sea, whereas mackerel, trout and herring are caught swimming in greater concentrations of just these fish, so there's a lower percentage of "undesirable" fish to be discarded.

So when you eat mackerel, trout and herring (in favor with Greenpeace), you are eating fish that don't have as many discarded fish associated with them as pollock (out of favor with Greenpeace) does.

That's the best I can do with my limited knowledge of the subject. (You'll notice when people don't know something, they spend twice the number of words explaining it.) :D

sdgraham

USA English
    My first thought was that Alaskan pollock is discarded as a bycatch, but it doesn't seem to be the case as it's "Germany's favorite fish". So, what does 'Alaskan pollock is out' mean?
    I had the same impression about this poorly written paragraph dec-serv. It's another case of an all-to-common syndrome in which the writer assumes that readers know as much about a subject as he or she does and will make the same inferences.

Good catch (if I may be permitted a pun)

< Previous | Next >