Gerund or reduced adjective clause?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sayyed, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Sayyed Member

Farsi- Persian- Iran
    Hello everyone
    I don't know if "being cut" in the following sentece is a gerund or a reduced adjective clause:
    "The tree being cut seems strange."
    Please, let me know which one is correct.
    Thank you in advance.

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    You misunderstand:

being is a participle. It is part of the verb to be. It is not a gerund. A gerund is a single word (except in the case of a phrasal verb, in which case it is two words) that acts as a noun. "being cut" does not act as a noun.

A reduced adjective clause consists of several words, the first of which is usually a participle.

In your example, "being cut" is the passive participle.

"The tree......being............cut............seems...strange." = "The tree..............that .............is being............cut...........seems...strange."
    ..noun.......participle... past participle... verb... adjective = .....noun........relative pronoun...participle... past participle... verb... adjective
    {....................subject....................}..............................{..subject}..{....................relative clause......................}

3. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It could be a reduced clause, but you would need extra punctuation. Do you mean something like this?

The tree, being cut, seems strange.

"Being cut"= since/because it is cut. In this adjectival participle clause, "cut" is used as an adjective.
    It could be reduced from "Since it is cut, the tree seems strange".

Compare with The tree, being artificial, looks strange. It's an artificial tree. Since it is artificial, it looks strange.

4. Sayyed Member

Farsi- Persian- Iran
    Thank you for you explaination, but, let me ask my quetion in another way:
    I intend to use "the tree being cut" (not "the tree") as the subject, can I do so?
    In the other words, can I use the sentence "The tree being cut seems strange" in the same structure as the following sentence?
    Speaking English is not easy.

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Please look again at #2:

"The tree......being............cut............seems...strange."
    ..noun.......participle... past participle... verb... adjective
    {....................subject....................}.........................

You will see that "the tree being cut" is the subject... :rolleyes:

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The sentences are not the same structure.

7. Sayyed Member

Farsi- Persian- Iran
    Hello velisarius
    No, I want to refer to the action (cutting) not the tree. Is it correct?

8. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    I'm sorry but I find your sentence unsatisfactory because I can't understand what you are trying to say.
    Do you mean that the tree has been cut down or parts of it have been cut off, (what we call 'pruned')?
    'Being cut' is a present continuous passive participle. It suggests that the cutting action is taking place as you watch. We could say 'The tree is being pruned'. 'It looks strange'.
    Trees don't look strange while they are being pruned.
    "After being pruned," ... or "After pruning," ... trees look strange.

In the adverbial phrase 'after (the) pruning', which is much better, we could say the participle is functioning as a noun following a preposition.

9. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi

I don't see why parenthetical commas are essential for the sentence part in question to be a reduced clause. What I think is this:

The tree being cut*/that is being cut** seems strange. (*defining reduced relative clause,
    **defining relative clause)

The tree, being cut,*/which is being cut,** seems strange.
    (*non-defining reduced relative clause,
    **non-defining relative clause)

Of course, "being" could be taken to mean something else as well.

Am I missing something?
    Thanks.