get a bit of a scent about

ida2

Persian - Iran
Hi,

In the following paragraph, what does the bold part mean?

‘You see a lot of things working in real estate. I’ve had families in the city who are selling up because they’re going bankrupt – I’ve had men selling their homes after a marriage breakdown – and I’ve dealt with some heartbreaking widows over the years. People get a bit of a scent about them when they’re just ready to move on. Sometimes, life drags us out of places – other times, we leap out of places, and we make our own futures. That’s exactly what I’m doing here in Milton Falls. I feel like that might be what you’re doing too.’

Source: A Mother's Confession, by Kelly Rimmer

• Barque

Tamil
    It literally means people who are about to move have a certain smell but the speaker's using it figuratively, to mean that he (she?) can identify people who want to sell their homes and move because there's something about them.

ida2

Persian - Iran
    It literally means people who are about to move have a certain smell but the speaker's using it figuratively, to mean that he (she?) can identify people who want to sell their homes and move because there's something about them.
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >