'get along' little doggie

wrc

Japanese
Hi!

How should interpret this phrase “get along” in this context?

I thought maybe it means “to leave” here, but according to the Oxford Dictionary I use, which shows that “get along” is usually used in the progressive tenses when it means “to leave a place”, for example, “It’s time we were getting along”. I am confused … ?? then what does it exactly mean in this context? Many thanks!!

(Prison Break – In this scene, T-Bag is “toying” with Michael in the yard, he says a lot of provocative things, and then his talk is interrupted by this Correctional Officer on duty.)

... ...

Correctional Officer: Hey, I'm not going to ask you again. Let's break up the party, ladies.

T-Bag: You heard the man, little doggie. Get along. (T-Bag is talking to Michael)

• teksch

English - American
    In this sense it does mean to leave. T-Bag is telling Michael to move from where he is, to get along. To get along could also mean to have agreeable relations with someone else - "I get along with Fred very well." That is not the meaning here, the meaning is to move. the officer is telling the group to disband, to move apart.

< Previous | Next >