'get along with' ?!

Why Not?

German
Hi All,

which expression should I use in order to indicate that people sort of don't have confidence in their own competence and thus feel overstrained by a task they are expected to perform?

Context:

"In this situation, many teachers and headmasters feel a need for guidance, as they do not get along with (?) the task of ‘filling the framework’ at their own will and experience."

I am looking for a rather short expression. Maybe there is a phrasal verb that would do? So far, I have used to get along with, but it appears to me that it is misused in the above context.

Could anybody help?

Thank you in anticipation

Why Not?

• shashiana

English - US
    this situation, many teachers and headmasters feel a need for guidance, as they do not get along with (?) the task of ‘filling the framework’ at their own will and experience."

perhaps you could say, ..."they do not fully grasp.." or "fully understand the task of 'filling the framework'"

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Focussing on the idea of a lack of confidence, I'd suggest:

In this situation, many teachers and headmasters feel a need for guidance, as they feel daunted by the task of ‘filling the framework’ ...

I can't think of an idiomatic way to say "at their own will and experience", as I don't understand what it means. Sorry!

< Previous | Next >