get as used to it

topten

italian
I have troubles with "as" in sentences like

human beings are creatures of habit and we get as used to the places we purchase the products and services we use.

or

Truth would quickly cease to become stranger than fiction, once we got as used to it

I don't understand the meaning of "as" in those contexts.
Is it the first part of a "as...as" construction, where the latter has missed out?

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi, topten, and welcome to the forum. :)

Are these sentences you wrote yourself or did you see them somewhere? I would not use "as" in either of them.

topten

italian
    No, I found them. The second is a quote of Henry Mencken. I found the first during my search of analogous examples

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The first one is definitely incomplete/incorrect.

The second one is possible because the normal structure "as X ... as ..." is implied by the comparator word "than". The implication is that we are already used to fiction and once we get "as used to (it=) truth as we are to fiction" truth would seem less strange. The sentence really is saying that we see the truth in things less often that we think we do.

Loob

English UK
    As regards the second one, google tells me that the original version of the quote is:
    Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got as used to it.
    the idea being:
    Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got as used to truth as we are to fiction.

The first sentence seems to contain an error or typo - it would make sense as:
    Human beings are creatures of habit and we get as used to the places we purchase as [we do] to the products and services we use.

(Cross-posted - slowly:D - with Julian)

< Previous | Next >