"Get bitten by the Love Bug" or "Get bit by the Love Bug"

< Previous | Next >
An organization I am involved with is doing a Valentine's fundraiser for a youth group. The kids will buy "Love Bug" messages for a quarter to send to their friends in the group. We are currently working on the announcement.

Would the correct heading/title read "Get bitten by the Love Bug" or "Get bit by the Love Bug"?

Even though this is relatively informal, and the kids almost certainly won't care, there are five of us having quite the debate about it. :)

Thanks so much for your help.

• I am in the Southeastern United States, Florida panhandle.

Three of us agree with "bitten", only one thinks "bit", and one believes either is correct.

As I mentioned, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I hate to send it out and have a fourth grader tell us it's wrong. ;)

waggledook

British English
    When I read this I immediately thought of Frank Sinatra singing about chewing something and then about how he later spit (sic) it out. In British English this is clearly wrong but I have been told it is perfectly acceptable in American English. I was thinking "bite" might be a similar case.

Dictionary.com provides "bit" as an alternative past participle to bite (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spit). That said, it seems clear from this thread that "bitten" is more widely accepted, the US included.

< Previous | Next >