Get down to

< Previous | Next >

shannenms

Persian
Suppose that somebody has asked me four questions, and I have no time for all of them. I do the first three things for her and I want to tell her that I will do the rest in the future to come, Can I use this sentence:

I will get down to it later.

Or I have to modify it?

Thanks

• Lexiphile

England English
    I think you should leave out "down"; then it sounds good.

The expression "to get down to something" is used, but not in this context. It suggests that you are supposed to be doing it now, but you can't concentrate on it -- perhaps you're wasting time surfing on the internet. It doesn't suggest that you are not doing it because you have something more important to do, as is implied by "I have no time for all of them."

JamesM

"I have so much housework to do but I just can't get down to it right now. I don't feel like doing housework. I think I'll spend an hour on WRF instead." :)

"Let's get down to it. My client will offer you $1 million for the story rights to your life but you have no say on any modifications to incidental details, such as but not limited to your gender, nationality, planet of origin, number of limbs, or sexual orientation." (This version of "let's get down to it" means "let's skip all the niceties and get right to the point of the negotiation.")

< Previous | Next >