get drunk on/from?

< Previous | Next >

antobbo

UK
italian, Italy
Hi guys, what's the correct expression please? "I got drunk on wine" or "I got drunk from wine"? The context of the sentence is just, say, a night out with friends. Getting drunk on wine feels more right...
thanks

• antobbo

UK
    italian, Italy
    thought so, but I wanted to double check, because I have read somewhere "drunk from something"...

Biffo

English - England
    We get drunk on <noun> but get drunk from <gerund>

Examples

I got drunk on beer.
    He is drunk on his own success.

I got drunk by/from drinking beer.

MikeLynn

We get drunk on <noun> but get drunk from <gerund>

Examples

I got drunk on beer.
    He is drunk on his own success.

I got drunk by/from drinking beer.
    How about "I got drunk drinking beer (or whatever)." Is the preposition, by/from, necessary in this construction? ...or does it alter the meaning?
    Thank you
    M&L

Myridon

English - US
    How about "I got drunk drinking beer (or whatever)." Is the preposition, by/from, necessary in this construction? ...or does it alter the meaning?
    Because we understand the relationship between drinking beer and getting drunk, we understand it to mean the same thing semantically (because of the meaning). Grammatically, however, the causal relationship is not there. "I got drunk drinking beer." is grammatically like "I got drunk talking on the phone." (Something else made me drunk.) or "I got drunk drinking water and eating jello shots." (It was the jello shots and not the water.)

MikeLynn

Thank you, Myridon. Your post is really interesting and helpful. Until I read your example: "I got drunk talking on the phone." , I didn't realize the grammatical difference and the "possible risk" :)
    M&L
    Technically, I could have gotten drunk on whiskey while I was drinking beer. Possibly meaning it was the whiskey that got me drunk, not the beer as if I'd stuck to drinking just beer, I'd have been, not sober, but definitely a lot better. Am I right?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >