get expired quickly

• suzi br

English / England
    You are a senior member so I think you know we need at least a full sentence and some context in order to answer this.

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
    Well, I used it in a lesson. We are reading a novel in which a man has an affair with a woman who is substantially younger than his wife and he is planning to leave his wife to be with the other woman. I commented on it by saying that we women get expired quickly.

When asking my question I also had other contexts in mind, such as vouchers.

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
    Thank you, velisarius. Yes, I know that 'expire' can mean 'die'. My question is whether I can use 'get expired' instead of 'expire' or whether that doesn't work.

tigerduck

German / Switzerland
    No. I don't think you can use "expire" in a passive form like that: it certainly doesn't work for me. :(
    Thank you Donny.

So, I can say that vouchers expire (but not that vouchers get expired).

And I cannot say that women expire quickly unless I mean they die quickly. I guess I would have to use have a shorter shelf-life as velsiarius suggested for my context above.

Is that right?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    So, I can say that vouchers expire (but not that vouchers get expired).

And I cannot say that women expire quickly unless I mean they die quickly. I guess I would have to use have a shorter shelf-life as velsiarius suggested for my context above.

Is that right?
    That all sounds reasonable to me, yes. :)

< Previous | Next >