get feeling back

< Previous | Next >

maiabulela

Banned
Arabic-Egypt
Haneen is a girl whose arm is injured and now has difficulty using her hand. She tries hard to write her name on a paper. A woman said to her:

Excellent job, Haneen. Just keep your eyes on the pencil to know how hard to hold it. As you get feeling back, it will be easier"

First: I don't understand the whole meaning of "to know how hard to hold it." I mean what fixing her eyes on the pencil has anything to do with knowin, as i got it as "learning", how hard to hold it (which i got that it refers to "the pencil."

Second: what's the meaning of "feeling back"??? I think I got the structure wrong and i need to get.

By the way, it's an episode from the tv series "armywives"

• JamesM

To "get something back" in a context like this means to have it returned to you. You could read it as "As the sense of feeling/touch returns (to your fingers), it will be easier."

Harry Batt

USA English
    The instructions relate to the field of neurology, relating in this case to apparent nerve damage which is on the mend. The patient is not able to carry out the complete function of writing with a pencil. She is being told what to expect; that complete recovery is not going to happen in a moment's time.

Last edited:

JamesM

first: I don't understand the whole meaning of "to know how hard to hold it." i mean what fixing her eyes on the pencil has anything to do with knowin, as i got it as "learning", how hard to hold it (which i got that it refers to "the pencil."

"To know how hard to hold it" means "to be able to judge how firm a grip is required in order to hold it". If she watches her hand she can see if the pencil is slipping out of her fingers as she attempts to write. Since she has no feeling in those fingers she can't judge by tactile feedback whether or not she is gripping it firmly enough ("holding it hard enough") to be able to write with it.

< Previous | Next >