Get him in a deposition

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"How does this affect your thinking given that there is a special counsel looking into the president's actions, there are civil case attorneys seeking to get him in a deposition?"

What does "get him in a deposition" mean? I think it must be a written statement, not a removal from an official position. Despite that, I still can't figure out how it fits in with 'getting someone into a written statement'.

source: Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin Discusses His Meeting With Brett Kavanaugh

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It's just a bit of sloppy speaking/writing. It means "get him in a room where he can undergo a formal deposition (a series of questions and answers about the person's role in the case that are written down for the lawyers in the case to study).

What Is a Deposition?

Last edited:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's just a bit of sloppy speaking/writing. It means "get him in a room where he can undergo a formal deposition (a series of questions and answers that are written down for the lawyers in the case to study).
    With the setting an extemporaneous interview, I would call it more casual or conversational" than sloppy.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Agreed. Sloppy in terms of grammar but normal in terms of casual speech from someone who's probably said that phrase a thousand times.

< Previous | Next >