Get his hands dirty

< Previous | Next >

palabra86

Spanish
My guess for " get his hands dirty" to do the really hard work with explaning something?

Assign a technical mentor – someone who could get his hands dirty and help figure out patterns of splitting. Someone that can be available for a long period of time and trained for the craft or knows how to do it already. It may be a technical lead, CTO, Component Owner, whoever the team respects enough on a professional level to allow him or her to "step into their territory" without feeling threatened, instead feeling safe enough to cooperate.
Why can’t I divide large chunk of work into smaller ones?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    I think this is a figurative use.

Imagine two people digging a trench. One stands there directing the work while the other actually uses the shovel and digs the dirt. Only the second person is getting his hands dirty.

So figuratively, getting your hands dirty means doing actual work and not just standing to one side "supervising".

In the example above, the mentor is not doing anything where he will actually get physically dirty. But it indicates he will get directly involved and do real work.

palabra86

Spanish
    I think this is a figurative use.

Imagine two people digging a trench. One stands there directing the work while the other actually uses the shovel and digs the dirt. Only the second person is getting his hands dirty.

So figuratively, getting your hands dirty means doing actual work and not just standing to one side "supervising".

In the example above, the mentor is not doing anything where he will actually get physically dirty. But it indicates he will get directly involved and do real work.
    Thanks for this great additional explantion :)

< Previous | Next >