get into debt or go into debt?

kidika

Castellano de Castilla
Hello again!

What would you say is the correct expression? I´ve googled them and they both seem right.

It´s very easy to get/go into debt these days.

Ta!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Both are used, but they have different meanings. Usually:

"To get into debt" describes a process that goes on over time, often without conscious thought. "The family got into debt because both parents lost their jobs."

"To go into debt" describes the result of a single, intentional activity. "John went into debt to purchase an engagement ring with a large diamond."

This distinction is not always observed carefully. In most cases, you can use either and still be understood.

Packard

USA, English
    There are variations possible beyond "go" and "get" depending upon what you are trying to express.

You can also "plunge" into debt, or "ease" into debt. Depending upon how it occurs. Egmont's distinctions are clear for "go" and "get".

For plunge, you would go into debt with gusto; quickly and deeply into debt.

For ease, you would gradually go into debt over a period of time and not necessarily very deeply into debt.

Neither of these are fixed phrases as far as I know; I hear "plunge" more often than "ease".

George French

English - UK
    Some of the other ways of euphemistically describing becoming a debtor include, to drift/sink/fall/slip/collapse/dive into debt. There seem to be many euphemisms for the very common event of being a bob or two short (another euphemism) and well and truely up a gum tree.

GF..

< Previous | Next >