get loan for

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering how to say that I borrow money from the bank, in order to buy a house or car. I made up sentences:

1) I get a bank loan for a house/car.

2) I get a loan for a house/car.

Would you give me some advice or alternatives? Thank you.

• e2efour

UK English
    If the loan is for a house (i.e. to buy the house), it is called a mortgage (at least in the UK). (This is not actually a loan, but in practice people speak like this.)
    You write get a loan (=to be given a loan). We often say to take out a loan.

Also you are not likely to write I get a loan, but I am getting a loan.
    The past simple is fine (I got a loan).

Last edited:

Sun14

Chinese
    If the loan is for a house (i.e. to buy the house), it is called a mortgage (at least in the UK). (This is not actually a loan, but in practice people speak like this.)
    You write get a loan (=to be given a loan). We often say to take out a loan.

Also you are not likely to write I get a loan, but I am getting a loan.
    The past simple is fine (I got a loan).
    Thus I'd better say I mortgage my house or I got montage. Am I right?

e2efour

UK English
    I obtained a mortgage on/for my house (=I got loan to buy my house, with the house as security)
    I remortgaged my house (=I borrowed more money from the bank, which I had already bought on a mortgage)

It's a little complicated, so I would advise you to stick to I got/took out a loan to buy my house.Normally the house is security (a mortgage) for the loan and most people do not distinguish between the mortgage and the loan.

Sun14

Chinese
    I obtained a mortgage on/for my house (=I got loan to buy my house, with the house as security)
    I remortgaged my house (=I borrowed more money from the bank, which I had already bought on a mortgage)

It's a little complicated, so I would advise you to stick to I got/took out a loan to buy my house.Normally the house is security (a mortgage) for the loan and most people do not distinguish between the mortgage and the loan.
    I see. Thank you very much.

semeeran

Indian Tamil, India
    1. I got a loan for new house with that house as security.
    2. I got a loan to buy new house with that house as security.
    Can I use as above.
    Thanks.

Sun14

Chinese
    The noun house is a count noun, so you would write a new house (or a house).
    What you have written amounts to I obtained a mortgage for a house.
    We didn't talk about the occasion of the car, is it idiomatic to say I got a loan to buy a car or for a car?

< Previous | Next >