get married vs. got married

LQZ

Mandarin
1 Take shanghai for example, based on my experience, most of my female colleagues and friends get married after 28, some of whom even enter into the marriage palace after 30. In other big cities, the phenomena are also similar and popular. Therefore, it is really no need for the parents to hurry and take their daughter into continuous blind dates.

2 Based on my experience, take, for example, Shanghai, where most of my female colleagues and friends got married after 28, even some of them entering into wedlock after 30. In other mega cities, this phenomenon is similar and common as well, therefore, there is no need for parents to push their children to accept continual blind dates.
Dear all,

Sentence 1 was written by one of my friends, but I think the tense of verb "get" might be wrong, because the action of "get married" can't last longer and it should happen in past, thus I changed get to got just like the sentence 2 (reworded by me). Am I right? Looking forward to your comments.Thanks.

LQZ

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    I think that they're both right, but that there are different nuances.

Get means that this is still happening. Maybe you have unmarried friends at 26 and 27, but all of your friends from 28 up are married.
    Got means that this is a completed action. Your friends are all either older than 28, or married.

That's just my interpretation, though.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thank you, xqby, but I am still confused.

The friend is telling a trend that in China, people got/get married later than before. I want to know which one, got or get, works well in this context. :)

Loob

English UK
    Sentence 1 tells us that the trend is for the writer's friends to get married between 28 and 30, and the trend is still continuing: there are more weddings in prospect.

Sentence 2 tells us that the the writer's friends are all now married, and they got married an a certain age. Thre is no continuing trend.

"Get" in "get married" is here a repeated or habitual action.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Sentence 1 tells us that the trend is for the writer's friends to get married between 28 and 30, and the trend is still continuing: there are more weddings in prospect.

Sentence 2 tells us that the the writer's friends are all now married, and they got married an a certain age. Thre is no continuing trend.

"Get" in "get married" is here a repeated or habitual action.
    Thank you, Loob, I've got it.

< Previous | Next >