get much good out of

nevebianca

Italian
Salve a tutti, non riesco pienamente a capire questa frase. O più probabilmente, ho capito tutt'altra cosa.

"You didn't get much good out of your birthday presents last year."

Non sei rimasta molto soddisfatta/colpita dai tuoi regali di compleanno lo scorso anno???:confused:

• curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    Ciao NeveBianca!

The sentence basically means that he/she didn't benefit a lot from the presents he/she was given last year. "To get much out of something" basically means to benefit (get something good) from something.

I wish I could explain this in Italian, but I can't!

Tristano

English - USA
    Salve a tutti, non riesco pienamente a capire questa frase. O più probabilmente, ho capito tutt'altra cosa.

"You didn't get much good out of your birthday presents last year."

Non sei rimasta molto soddisfatta/colpita dai tuoi regali di compleanno lo scorso anno???:confused:

Be', non è nemmeno tanto chiaro in inglese. Comunque, "to get good out of something" vuol dire "trovare utile" o "trarre utilità da"...

Tristano

Villa fan

Ciao nevebianca

"You didn't get much good out of..." non e` chiaro completamente in inglese anche! Forse il scrittore/la scrittrice abbia voluto dire "You didn't get much benefit from......"

Saluti - Villa fan

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A question about possible Italian sentences.
    Do these make any sense at all?

Non c'era niente di buono con i tuoi regali...
    Non c'era niente di buono riguarda i tuoi...
    ??????????????

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    Per me

non hai tirato fuori niente di buono dai tuoi regali di compleanno l'anno scorso (molto informale)

A question about possible Italian sentences.
    Do these make any sense at all?

Non c'era niente di buono con i tuoi regali...
    Non c'era niente di buono riguarda i tuoi...
    ??????????????

Punto&virgola

Italian
    Hello!
    I would say
    "Non hai ricavato un granché dai tuoi regali, l'anno scorso"
    or
    "Non hai ottenuto un granché dai tuoi regali, l'anno scorso"
    if you want to keep the original (?) meaning to get some benefits from these objects (which sounds strange to me, anyway...)

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    Would it change the meaning very much if we simplified it? -

L'anno scorso non ti hanno regalato granché.
    It's grammatically perfect and with a great style but...it would be different in English as well, wouldn't it?

I mean, in the original sentence the guy didn't manage (somehow; we don't know) to take advantage of his presents. Your sentence, on the contrary, doesn't involve any activity of that guy.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    It is slightly different, I think. How about: Non hai potuto approfittare dei tuoi regali di compleanno l'anno scorso. Though even this is slightly different, I'm afraid.

Einstein

UK, English
    I mean, in the original sentence the guy didn't manage (somehow; we don't know) to take advantage of his presents. Your sentence, on the contrary, doesn't involve any activity of that guy.
    I agree, but it was precisely the mystery that made me want to simplify it. I find it a strange sentence, to tell the truth.

Vulcaniano

*Italian / Spanish (ESP) - bilingual*
    Ciao a tutti, mi potete aiutare a capire il senso compiuto di questa frase?

"Realistically you will not get much out of Mary".

Come la si può tradurre in italiano?

Grazie per l'aiuto.

< Previous | Next >