get my rage on

BiT4000

Russian - Russia
— You're kind and sensitive, when you don't even have to be.
— Trust me, I still get my rage on.

What exactly does the highlighted phrase mean? I have not found anything suitable in "get on" phrasal verb definitions.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Get my rage on" is probably not all that common, but the construction "get my X on" would be understood by most AE speakers.

The more neutral phrasing that would still be considered casual would be "I still get angry" rather than "I still get enraged."
    The difference is that while "get enraged" would be almost too formal for some conversational contexts, "get my rage on" would pass as something a teenager or young person might say in conversation. It's not brilliant dialogue, but it is telling you something about the characters.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, I would consider it slang. And since it's slang you can put other words in there. A common one is "get my freak on" which has a sexual meaning. Basically, you can use whatever word won't make people laugh at you. What words are those? Who knows. Some will work and some won't. Slang can be tricky.

BiT4000

Russian - Russia
    Yes, I would consider it slang. And since it's slang you can put other words in there. A common one is "get my freak on" which has a sexual meaning. Basically, you can use whatever word won't make people laugh at you. What words are those? Who knows. Some will work and some won't. Slang can be tricky.
    "Get my rage on" is probably not all that common, but the construction "get my X on" would be understood by most AE speakers.

The more neutral phrasing that would still be considered casual would be "I still get angry" rather than "I still get enraged."
    The difference is that while "get enraged" would be almost too formal for some conversational contexts, "get my rage on" would pass as something a teenager or young person might say in conversation. It's not brilliant dialogue, but it is telling you something about the characters.
    Thank you. It's much clearer now.

< Previous | Next >