Get on the bandwagon - Has it got a negative connotation?

< Previous | Next >

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
To jump on the bandwagon - does it have bad connotation in the following example?Does it mean that others joined it because it was already successful?

The world polio eradication programme was first conceived and implemented by Rotary International.

Subsequently, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UNESCO and Government Agencies got on the bandwagon.

Thanks for your help

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't think it sounds bad in this sentence. It's just another way to say that other agencies followed the example set by Rotary International. It's a good thing that other organizations also want to eradicate diseases like polio.

Andygc

British English
    I can't agree. That puts a negative spin on the contribution of other agencies (It also contains some historical inaccuracies, but that's not a language topic). The original Polio Plus campaign of 1985 needed the Gates Foundation to maintain its momentum. The Gateses didn't so much jump on the bandwagon as give it a mighty big push (to the tune of 355 million USD in 2009 and now up to 35 million USD per year up to 2018, matching Rotary's own polio fund-raising 2:1).

Jumping on a bandwagon seems to me to mean that somebody got on board to share in the glory of something that was already on its way to success. That is clearly a wholly inappropriate meaning here.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    I can't agree. That puts a negative spin on the contribution of other agencies (It also contains some historical inaccuracies, but that's not a language topic). The original Polio Plus campaign of 1985 needed the Gates Foundation to maintain its momentum. The Gateses didn't so much jump on the bandwagon as give it a mighty big push (to the tune of 355 million USD in 2009 and now up to 35 million USD per year up to 2018, matching Rotary's own polio fund-raising 2:1).

Jumping on a bandwagon seems to me to mean that somebody got on board to share in the glory of something that was already on its way to success. That is clearly a wholly inappropriate meaning here.
    Thank you, Andygc

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Andy. In my opinion, whoever wrote the sentence quoted in post #1 (the source wasn't given) used that "bandwagon" phrase inappropriately.*

*The absence of the definite article before the foundation name and the "G" and "A" capitalization also suggest lack of familiarity with English usage on the part of the writer.

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    I agree with Andy. In my opinion, whoever wrote the sentence quoted in post #1 (the source wasn't given) used that "bandwagon" phrase inappropriately.*

*The absence of the definite article before the foundation name and the "G" and "A" capitalization also suggest lack of familiarity with English usage on the part of the writer.
    Thank you, Parla. I wrote the sentence myself. Thank you also for pointing out other errors in my writing.

< Previous | Next >